Installing RHEL4 on HP WX9400 .... - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installing RHEL4 on HP WX9400 .... - Redhat ; Hello, I'm trying to install RH Linux on an HPWX9400 workstation which has AMD64 hardware. Do I need some kind of special installer kit from HP for this? Info here seems to imply that i do. http://autoproxy1.northgrum.com/proxy/bceast.pac I have RHEL ...

  1. Installing RHEL4 on HP WX9400 ....

    Hello,
    I'm trying to install RH Linux on an HPWX9400 workstation which has
    AMD64
    hardware. Do I need some kind of special installer kit from HP for
    this? Info here seems to imply that i do.
    http://autoproxy1.northgrum.com/proxy/bceast.pac

    I have RHEL 4 CDs but kernel installation doesn't recongnize hard
    drive as well as a host of other problems. Anybody ever installed
    RHEL
    4 on this platform care to share their experience?

    TIA

  2. Re: Installing RHEL4 on HP WX9400 ....

    temp2@cfl.rr.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to install RH Linux on an HPWX9400 workstation which has
    > AMD64
    > hardware. Do I need some kind of special installer kit from HP for
    > this? Info here seems to imply that i do.
    > http://autoproxy1.northgrum.com/proxy/bceast.pac

    The link is broken.

    > I have RHEL 4 CDs but kernel installation doesn't recongnize hard
    > drive as well as a host of other problems. Anybody ever installed
    > RHEL
    > 4 on this platform care to share their experience?

    Your installation media does not support the newer hardware. HP is fairly
    good with support for Linux see if they have device drivers for the
    workstation. You can also try in the workstation BIOS setting the SATA
    interface to legacy mode.

    Or wait until March 14, 2007

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  3. Re: Installing RHEL4 on HP WX9400 ....

    On Mar 7, 4:23 pm, Lenard wrote:
    > t...@cfl.rr.com wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I'm trying to install RH Linux on an HPWX9400 workstation which has
    > > AMD64
    > > hardware. Do I need some kind of special installer kit from HP for
    > > this? Info here seems to imply that i do.
    > >http://autoproxy1.northgrum.com/proxy/bceast.pac

    > The link is broken.
    >
    > > I have RHEL 4 CDs but kernel installation doesn't recongnize hard
    > > drive as well as a host of other problems. Anybody ever installed
    > > RHEL
    > > 4 on this platform care to share their experience?

    > Your installation media does not support the newer hardware. HP is fairly
    > good with support for Linux see if they have device drivers for the
    > workstation. You can also try in the workstation BIOS setting the SATA
    > interface to legacy mode.
    >
    > Or wait until March 14, 2007
    >
    > --
    > Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    > This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    > from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

    Sorry. I posted the wrong link.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c00063015.pdf

  4. Re: Installing RHEL4 on HP WX9400 ....

    temp2@cfl.rr.com wrote:

    > Sorry. I posted the wrong link.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c00063015.pdf

    No biggie, after taking a quick look at the pdf file (Chapter 10, page 20, I
    see the link; http://hp,com/go/workstationsupport

    Which leads to (following the links for the wx9400), see the Release Notes
    tab:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...tem=wk-46252-1

    See, I told you HP was fairly good at supporting Linux.

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  5. Re: Installing RHEL4 on HP WX9400 ....

    On Mar 7, 9:11 pm, t...@cfl.rr.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to install RH Linux on an HPWX9400 workstation which has
    > AMD64
    > hardware. Do I need some kind of special installer kit from HP for
    > this? Info here seems to imply that i do.http://autoproxy1.northgrum.com/proxy/bceast.pac
    >
    > I have RHEL 4 CDs but kernel installation doesn't recongnize hard
    > drive as well as a host of other problems. Anybody ever installed
    > RHEL
    > 4 on this platform care to share their experience?
    >
    > TIA

    I have installed RH EL4 WS (update 4) on an HP xW9400.

    I had no issues with recognising the SATA drives, but I was unable to
    get the RAID to work as a RAID device. I ended up installing as Linux
    software RAID.

    In order for this to work properly I had to make sure the RAID device
    was not configured in the bios.

    The RAID on these boxes seems to be a partial software/hardware RAID
    rather than true hardware RAID. I could be wrong on that though.

    Track down the Installing Linux manual from HP, it's a good insight
    into their thinking.

    I had no need to install *any* drivers to be able to see the SATA
    drives.

    I did use the HP installing linux kit disk, and all I can say is it
    screwed up the instalation of the graphics driver for the Nvidia
    Quadro FX 1500. This caused me more grief than it was worth.

  6. Re: Installing RHEL4 on HP WX9400 ....

    On Mar 22, 12:09 pm, "Pink" wrote:
    > On Mar 7, 9:11 pm, t...@cfl.rr.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I'm trying to install RH Linux on an HPWX9400 workstation which has
    > > AMD64
    > > hardware. Do I need some kind of special installer kit from HP for
    > > this? Info here seems to imply that i do.http://autoproxy1.northgrum.com/proxy/bceast.pac

    > > I have RHEL 4 CDs but kernel installation doesn't recongnize hard
    > > drive as well as a host of other problems. Anybody ever installed
    > > RHEL
    > > 4 on this platform care to share their experience?

    > > TIA

    > I have installed RH EL4 WS (update 4) on an HP xW9400.
    >
    > I had no issues with recognising the SATA drives, but I was unable to
    > get the RAID to work as a RAID device. I ended up installing as Linux
    > software RAID.
    >
    > In order for this to work properly I had to make sure the RAID device
    > was not configured in the bios.
    >
    > The RAID on these boxes seems to be a partial software/hardware RAID
    > rather than true hardware RAID. I could be wrong on that though.
    >
    > Track down the Installing Linux manual from HP, it's a good insight
    > into their thinking.
    >
    > I had no need to install *any* drivers to be able to see the SATA
    > drives.
    >
    > I did use the HP installing linux kit disk, and all I can say is it
    > screwed up the instalation of the graphics driver for the Nvidia
    > Quadro FX 1500. This caused me more grief than it was worth.

    Tracked down the link.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c00063015.pdf

    Googled for "HP Workstations User Manual for Linux"

    Don't bother searching HP site for it

  7. Re: Installing RHEL4 on HP WX9400 ....

    Hi,

    Try install RH 4 WS with Update 6 for AMD64/Intel . . .

    I install it on SunFire with AMD64 without problem . . .

    "Pink" a écrit dans le message de news:
    1174565663.930814.270550@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups. com...
    > On Mar 22, 12:09 pm, "Pink" wrote:
    >> On Mar 7, 9:11 pm, t...@cfl.rr.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello,
    >> > I'm trying to install RH Linux on an HPWX9400 workstation which has
    >> > AMD64
    >> > hardware. Do I need some kind of special installer kit from HP for
    >> > this? Info here seems to imply that i
    >> > do.http://autoproxy1.northgrum.com/proxy/bceast.pac

    >> > I have RHEL 4 CDs but kernel installation doesn't recongnize hard
    >> > drive as well as a host of other problems. Anybody ever installed
    >> > RHEL
    >> > 4 on this platform care to share their experience?

    >> > TIA

    >> I have installed RH EL4 WS (update 4) on an HP xW9400.
    >>
    >> I had no issues with recognising the SATA drives, but I was unable to
    >> get the RAID to work as a RAID device. I ended up installing as Linux
    >> software RAID.
    >>
    >> In order for this to work properly I had to make sure the RAID device
    >> was not configured in the bios.
    >>
    >> The RAID on these boxes seems to be a partial software/hardware RAID
    >> rather than true hardware RAID. I could be wrong on that though.
    >>
    >> Track down the Installing Linux manual from HP, it's a good insight
    >> into their thinking.
    >>
    >> I had no need to install *any* drivers to be able to see the SATA
    >> drives.
    >>
    >> I did use the HP installing linux kit disk, and all I can say is it
    >> screwed up the instalation of the graphics driver for the Nvidia
    >> Quadro FX 1500. This caused me more grief than it was worth.

    > Tracked down the link.
    >
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c00063015.pdf
    >
    > Googled for "HP Workstations User Manual for Linux"
    >
    > Don't bother searching HP site for it

+ Reply to Thread