Redhat 9 install problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on Redhat 9 install problem - Redhat ; I downloaded the iso images and used nero to create the disc for RedHat Client 5. The images have been downloaded several times. "RHEL5-Client-20061111.0-i386-disc1-ftp.iso - RHEL5-Client-20061111.0- i386-disc6-ftp.iso' because of the issues I've been having. When I boot the system with ...

  1. Redhat 9 install problem

    I downloaded the iso images and used nero to create the disc for
    RedHat Client 5. The images have been downloaded several times.
    "RHEL5-Client-20061111.0-i386-disc1-ftp.iso - RHEL5-Client-20061111.0-
    i386-disc6-ftp.iso' because of the issues I've been having. When I
    boot the system with "disc 1" everything works fine. I choose the
    install options and away I go. NOT!! When the install request "Disc
    2" I keep getting the message "This is not the correct Disc, Please
    insert Disc 2". Ok, now you're thinking I'm a "putz" and can't count
    to 2. I've made several copies of the disc from my download
    iterations and have tested the CD's to at least make sure that it's
    DISC 2, as I have clearly marked it. The testing shows errors, but
    also clearly shows "DISC 1 - DISC 6" of course 2 is included.

    I just want to know, if anyone else has run into this issue and/or
    have any suggestions on a work-around other than swithing to a
    different distro.

    HEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Redhat 9 install problem

    UNclepuffy wrote:
    > I downloaded the iso images and used nero to create the disc for
    > RedHat Client 5. The images have been downloaded several times.
    > "RHEL5-Client-20061111.0-i386-disc1-ftp.iso - RHEL5-Client-20061111.0-
    > i386-disc6-ftp.iso' because of the issues I've been having. When I
    > boot the system with "disc 1" everything works fine. I choose the
    > install options and away I go. NOT!! When the install request "Disc
    > 2" I keep getting the message "This is not the correct Disc, Please
    > insert Disc 2". Ok, now you're thinking I'm a "putz" and can't count
    > to 2. I've made several copies of the disc from my download
    > iterations and have tested the CD's to at least make sure that it's
    > DISC 2, as I have clearly marked it. The testing shows errors, but
    > also clearly shows "DISC 1 - DISC 6" of course 2 is included.
    >
    > I just want to know, if anyone else has run into this issue and/or
    > have any suggestions on a work-around other than swithing to a
    > different distro.

    I had a similar problem with RH9 but it would stop part way through and demand
    the correct disk. I also had multiple downloads and several disks and passed all
    tests. Eventually I noticed that with different disks it stopped at different
    places. I started switching back and forth between copies of the same disc until
    got passed that disc.

    The work around is FC6. There is no point to fooling with RH9 at this late date.

    --
    If the Iraq war were WWII we would have paid for half of it already.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3748

  3. Re: Redhat 9 install problem

    On Mar 2, 6:22 pm, Matt Giwer wrote:
    > UNclepuffy wrote:
    > > I downloaded the iso images and used nero to create the disc for
    > > RedHat Client 5. The images have been downloaded several times.
    > > "RHEL5-Client-20061111.0-i386-disc1-ftp.iso - RHEL5-Client-20061111.0-
    > > i386-disc6-ftp.iso' because of the issues I've been having. When I
    > > boot the system with "disc 1" everything works fine. I choose the
    > > install options and away I go. NOT!! When the install request "Disc
    > > 2" I keep getting the message "This is not the correct Disc, Please
    > > insert Disc 2". Ok, now you're thinking I'm a "putz" and can't count
    > > to 2. I've made several copies of the disc from my download
    > > iterations and have tested the CD's to at least make sure that it's
    > > DISC 2, as I have clearly marked it. The testing shows errors, but
    > > also clearly shows "DISC 1 - DISC 6" of course 2 is included.

    > > I just want to know, if anyone else has run into this issue and/or
    > > have any suggestions on a work-around other than swithing to a
    > > different distro.

    > I had a similar problem with RH9 but it would stop part way through and demand
    > the correct disk. I also had multiple downloads and several disks and passed all
    > tests. Eventually I noticed that with different disks it stopped at different
    > places. I started switching back and forth between copies of the same disc until
    > got passed that disc.
    >
    > The work around is FC6. There is no point to fooling with RH9 at this late date.
    >
    > --
    > If the Iraq war were WWII we would have paid for half of it already.
    > -- The Iron Webmaster, 3748
    > nizkorhttp://www.giwersworld.org/nizkook/nizkook.phtml
    > Larry Shiffhttp://www.giwersworld.org/computers/newsagent.phtmla8- Hide quoted text -

    I appreciate the Workaround, but I run Oracle on this server and FC6
    is not supported for some time now, at least the past two years. Any
    other suggestions?

  4. Re: Redhat 9 install problem

    UNclepuffy wrote:

    > I appreciate the Workaround, but I run Oracle on this server and FC6
    > is not supported for some time now, at least the past two years. Any
    > other suggestions?

    CentOS or Scientific Linux, both are 100% binary compatible freely available
    clones of RHEL. Scientific Linux has 'live' SL4 CD/DVD that can be
    installed and also updated via yum. CentOS has a single server CD
    installation CD (everything else can be installed via yum) and an Oracle
    support forum also.

    FYI: the RHEL5Beta2 is not supported by Oracle either, it is based on the
    work done for FC6.

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

+ Reply to Thread