Problem with Redhat on WinXP - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problem with Redhat on WinXP - Redhat ; Hi guys, I am trying to run the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 using the VMWare Player on Windows XP. However, whenever I tried to boot up, Red Hat would check for additional hardware and the VMWare player would freeze ...

  1. Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    Hi guys,
    I am trying to run the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 using the VMWare Player on
    Windows XP. However, whenever I tried to boot up, Red Hat would check for
    additional hardware and the VMWare player would freeze ultimately. Any idea
    what went wrong?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    Roger Lek wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    > I am trying to run the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 using the VMWare Player
    > on Windows XP. However, whenever I tried to boot up, Red Hat would check
    > for additional hardware and the VMWare player would freeze ultimately. Any
    > idea what went wrong?

    Turn off the kudzu service.

    When Linux starts the boot process, be ready to press the "i' key when
    prompted. Do so it might take two or three attempts but it will work,
    answer yes to all questions except the kudzu service one answer no to this
    one (press the 'n' key). Log on as root and do something like;

    chconfig --levels 345 kudzu off

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  3. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    Hi Lenard,

    Thanks for your reply. I was able to follow the steps all the way till the
    "chconfig --levels 345 kudzu off". However, when I do that, i got the
    following message:

    -bash: chconfig: command not found

    This is what I typed:

    [root@localhost root]# chconfig --level 345 kudzu off

    I also tried something like this:
    [root@localhost root]# chkconfig --level 345 kudzu off

    There's no error this time but nothing happened after that either.

    Did I typed the correct command?

    Thanks again.

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    news:NNNzh.26256$yC5.3649@newssvr27.news.prodigy.n et...
    > Roger Lek wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys,
    >> I am trying to run the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 using the VMWare Player
    >> on Windows XP. However, whenever I tried to boot up, Red Hat would check
    >> for additional hardware and the VMWare player would freeze ultimately.
    >> Any
    >> idea what went wrong?
    >>

    > Turn off the kudzu service.
    >
    > When Linux starts the boot process, be ready to press the "i' key when
    > prompted. Do so it might take two or three attempts but it will work,
    > answer yes to all questions except the kudzu service one answer no to this
    > one (press the 'n' key). Log on as root and do something like;
    >
    > chconfig --levels 345 kudzu off
    >

    > --
    > Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    > This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    > from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  4. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    Roger Lek wrote:

    > Hi Lenard,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I was able to follow the steps all the way till the
    > "chconfig --levels 345 kudzu off". However, when I do that, i got the
    > following message:
    >
    > -bash: chconfig: command not found
    >
    > This is what I typed:
    >
    > [root@localhost root]# chconfig --level 345 kudzu off

    Sorry my mistake, the command should be;

    chkconfig --level 345 kudzu off

    Also in the future please consider;
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  5. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    Ok, it works now. Thanks a lot.

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    news:4k0Ah.7220$gj4.1410@newssvr14.news.prodigy.ne t...
    > Roger Lek wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Lenard,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply. I was able to follow the steps all the way till
    >> the
    >> "chconfig --levels 345 kudzu off". However, when I do that, i got the
    >> following message:
    >>
    >> -bash: chconfig: command not found
    >>
    >> This is what I typed:
    >>
    >> [root@localhost root]# chconfig --level 345 kudzu off

    > Sorry my mistake, the command should be;
    >
    > chkconfig --level 345 kudzu off
    >

    > Also in the future please consider;
    > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/
    >

    > --
    > Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    > This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    > from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  6. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    Hi Lenard,
    I've spotted another problem and wonder if you can help me with it. After
    turning off the kudzu service, Redhat seems to run fine in the command
    prompt mode. However, when I tried to run startx, vmware player hangs again.
    Any idea why is that so?

    "Roger Lek " wrote in message
    > Ok, it works now. Thanks a lot.
    >

    > "Lenard" wrote in message
    > news:4k0Ah.7220$gj4.1410@newssvr14.news.prodigy.ne t...
    >> Roger Lek wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi Lenard,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your reply. I was able to follow the steps all the way till
    >>> the
    >>> "chconfig --levels 345 kudzu off". However, when I do that, i got the
    >>> following message:
    >>>
    >>> -bash: chconfig: command not found
    >>>
    >>> This is what I typed:
    >>>
    >>> [root@localhost root]# chconfig --level 345 kudzu off

    >> Sorry my mistake, the command should be;
    >>
    >> chkconfig --level 345 kudzu off
    >>

    >> Also in the future please consider;
    >> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/
    >>

    >> --
    >> Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    >> This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    >> from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  7. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:45:08 +0800, Roger Lek wrote:

    > This is what I typed:
    >
    > [root@localhost root]# chconfig --level 345 kudzu off
    >
    > I also tried something like this:
    > [root@localhost root]# chkconfig --level 345 kudzu off

    This was the correct text. Now to see if it worked you type;

    chkconfig --list kudzu

    You should see all run levels set to off

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!

  8. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    Hi Robert,

    Yup, all run levels have been set to off alright. However, when I typed
    startx at the command prompt, I would go into the startup screen whereby
    Redhat would freeze after the CD-device handler is loaded. Any idea why is
    that so?

    Regards,
    Roger

    "Robert" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.02.17.01.17.22.368090@noplace.nowhere...
    > On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:45:08 +0800, Roger Lek wrote:
    >
    >> This is what I typed:
    >>
    >> [root@localhost root]# chconfig --level 345 kudzu off
    >>
    >> I also tried something like this:
    >> [root@localhost root]# chkconfig --level 345 kudzu off

    > This was the correct text. Now to see if it worked you type;
    >
    > chkconfig --list kudzu
    >
    > You should see all run levels set to off
    >

    > --
    >
    > Regards
    > Robert
    >
    > Smile... it increases your face value!

    > Newsgroups
    > =----

  9. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    Roger Lek wrote:

    > Hi Robert,
    >
    > Yup, all run levels have been set to off alright. However, when I typed
    > startx at the command prompt, I would go into the startup screen whereby
    > Redhat would freeze after the CD-device handler is loaded. Any idea why is
    > that so?

    Most likely there is a conflict happening, Windows might be attempting to
    automount/start the media. It maybe a good idea to check your Windows
    settings for this.

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  10. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    I see. Btw, any idea which part of Windows should I look into to check for
    this?

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    news:_KDBh.19657$ji1.16386@newssvr12.news.prodigy. net...
    > Roger Lek wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Robert,
    >>
    >> Yup, all run levels have been set to off alright. However, when I typed
    >> startx at the command prompt, I would go into the startup screen whereby
    >> Redhat would freeze after the CD-device handler is loaded. Any idea why
    >> is
    >> that so?

    > Most likely there is a conflict happening, Windows might be attempting to
    > automount/start the media. It maybe a good idea to check your Windows
    > settings for this.
    >
    > --
    > Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    > This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    > from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  11. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    Roger Lek wrote:

    > I see. Btw, any idea which part of Windows should I look into to check for
    > this?

    You should really ask this Windows question in a Windows newsgroup, but as a
    suggestion get TweakUI and use it from the Control Panel after installation
    to stop this action;

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  12. Re: Problem with Redhat on WinXP

    I see. Thanks.

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    news:r7LBh.11352$gj4.8595@newssvr14.news.prodigy.n et...
    > Roger Lek wrote:
    >
    >> I see. Btw, any idea which part of Windows should I look into to check
    >> for
    >> this?

    > You should really ask this Windows question in a Windows newsgroup, but as
    > suggestion get TweakUI and use it from the Control Panel after
    > installation
    > to stop this action;
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
    >

    > --
    > Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    > This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    > from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

+ Reply to Thread