FC6 Hardware RAID - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC6 Hardware RAID - Redhat ; Havent worked with RAID on linux before. Will FC6 let me use a hardware raid device such as adaptec 1220SA (with 2xserial ata disks) at install time? Do I need to setup anything special or will it just look like ...

  1. FC6 Hardware RAID

    Havent worked with RAID on linux before.

    Will FC6 let me use a hardware raid device such as adaptec 1220SA
    (with 2xserial ata disks) at install time? Do I need to setup anything
    special or will it just look like a single block device that I can
    install the OS on right away?

  2. Re: FC6 Hardware RAID

    meselfo wrote:
    > Will FC6 let me use a hardware raid device such as adaptec 1220SA
    > (with 2xserial ata disks) at install time?

    FC6 works with hardware RAID devices, but Adaptec 1220 isn't a hardware
    RAID card. It's a "HostRAID" card, which means BIOS-supported software
    RAID a.k.a fake-RAID:
    "Q: What is Adaptec HostRAID??

    Adaptec HostRAID is the marketing name for the software RAID technology
    that maximizes system performance and uptime for Adaptec software RAID
    products."
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/product...1430SA_faq.htm

    > Do I need to setup anything
    > special or will it just look like a single block device that I can
    > install the OS on right away?

    A real hardware RAID will appear as a single device to the OS.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

+ Reply to Thread