FC6 doesn't show in Grub - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC6 doesn't show in Grub - Redhat ; I have a dual boot system with two discs, one with windows and one with linux. I had RH7.2 installed on the linux drive and it had about 17MB of unpartitioned space. I installed FC6 in the 17 MB which ...

  1. FC6 doesn't show in Grub

    I have a dual boot system with two discs, one with windows and one with
    linux. I had RH7.2 installed on the linux drive and it had about 17MB of
    unpartitioned space. I installed FC6 in the 17 MB which shows up as
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 when I run whatever partitioning s/w is on disc 1
    of the FC6 download.

    However, I still have my old version of grub running when I boot, eventhough
    FC6 prompted me about upgrading grub. Grub only lists windows and RH7.2. I
    could edit the grub.conf file and add FC6, but I am not sure exactly where
    it is and how to do that.

    Any suggestions on why the upgraded grub didn't install and how to point to
    FC6?

    Thanks

    Dave

  2. Re: FC6 doesn't show in Grub

    Dave Bazell wrote:

    > I have a dual boot system with two discs, one with windows and one with
    > linux. I had RH7.2 installed on the linux drive and it had about 17MB of
    > unpartitioned space. I installed FC6 in the 17 MB which shows up as
    > /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 when I run whatever partitioning s/w is on disc 1
    > of the FC6 download.
    >
    > However, I still have my old version of grub running when I boot, eventhough
    > FC6 prompted me about upgrading grub. Grub only lists windows and RH7.2. I
    > could edit the grub.conf file and add FC6, but I am not sure exactly where
    > it is and how to do that.
    >
    > Any suggestions on why the upgraded grub didn't install and how to point to
    > FC6?

    If I recall correctly, you'll find the new grub.conf located in the /boot/grub
    directory of your new FC6 installation. The alternative would have been to
    install it to your RH 7.2's installation, which might not be what you would
    want. You could simply copy it from FC6 to RH7.2 to see what the new menu looks
    like, but you will need to run grub in order to point to the new installation.
    See "man grub".

    HTH
    Bob

  3. Re: FC6 doesn't show in Grub

    On Feb 8, 9:23 am, "Dave Bazell" wrote:
    > I have a dual boot system with two discs, one with windows and one with
    > linux. I had RH7.2 installed on the linux drive and it had about 17MB of
    > unpartitioned space. I installed FC6 in the 17 MB which shows up as
    > /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 when I run whatever partitioning s/w is on disc 1
    > of the FC6 download.
    >
    > However, I still have my old version of grub running when I boot, eventhough
    > FC6 prompted me about upgrading grub. Grub only lists windows and RH7.2. I
    > could edit the grub.conf file and add FC6, but I am not sure exactly where
    > it is and how to do that.
    >
    > Any suggestions on why the upgraded grub didn't install and how to point to
    > FC6?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    Did you mean to say 17mb?? If so that may be the problem.

    If not try # fdisk -l (you'll have to log in as root using su - ,
    make sure of the minus sign.) That should show your patitions.
    Mount the one/ones (there's normally 2, "/" and "/boot") /boot is
    normally 100mb and should contain kernel & grub stuff.
    There's then 2 ways to add FC6 to RH7.2 grub.conf.
    1 copy FC6 grub.conf entry and paste it into RH7.2 grub.conf or use a
    chainload similar to that used for windows, except pointing to the
    partion FC6 /boot is on.

+ Reply to Thread