Installing fc5 from network of hd (dual boot) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installing fc5 from network of hd (dual boot) - Redhat ; hey, The cd drive on my sony vaio laptop doesn't work and i was wanting to install fedora core 5 along with windows xp. I tried to follow these instructions: http://imthi.com/blog/73/index.php His discription of what i should see after running ...

  1. Installing fc5 from network of hd (dual boot)

    hey,

    The cd drive on my sony vaio laptop doesn't work and i was wanting to
    install fedora core 5 along with windows xp. I tried to follow these
    instructions:

    http://imthi.com/blog/73/index.php

    His discription of what i should see after running wingrub does not
    corispond to what actually happens for me. I put grub for dos on my
    computer and it seems a little more similar. I think both are
    installed now and the boot process gives me two different screens

    the first screen is light blue (cyan?) on a black background and has
    many options that corispond to this menu.lst:

    # This is a sample menu.lst file. You should make some changes to it.
    # The old install method of booting via the stage-files has been
    removed.
    # Please install GRLDR boot strap code to MBR with the bootlace.com
    # utility under DOS/Win9x or Linux.

    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    timeout 30
    default /default

    title find and load NTLDR of Windows NT/2K/XP
    fallback 1
    find --set-root /ntldr
    chainloader /ntldr
    savedefault --wait=2

    title find and load CMLDR of Windows NT/2K/XP
    fallback 2
    find --set-root /cmldr
    chainloader /cmldr
    savedefault --wait=2

    title find and load IO.SYS of Windows 9x/Me
    fallback 3
    find --set-root /io.sys
    chainloader /io.sys
    savedefault --wait=2

    title find and boot Mandriva with menu.lst already installed
    fallback 4
    find --set-root /etc/mandriva-release
    savedefault --wait=2
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    title find and boot Linux with menu.lst already installed
    fallback 5
    find --set-root /sbin/init
    savedefault --wait=2
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    title commandline
    savedefault --wait=2
    commandline

    title floppy (fd0)
    chainloader (fd0)+1
    rootnoverify (fd0)
    savedefault --wait=2

    title back to dos
    savedefault --wait=2
    quit

    title reboot
    savedefault --wait=2
    reboot

    title halt
    savedefault --wait=2
    halt

    title memdrive duplicated from floppy image file (hd0,0)/sbm.bin
    map --mem (hd0,0)/sbm.bin (fd0)
    map --hook
    chainloader (fd0)+1
    rootnoverify (fd0)
    savedefault --wait=2

    title memdrive based on win98 partition (hd0,6)
    map --mem (hd0,6)+1 (hd0)
    # map --mem (hd0,0)/win98.gz (hd0)
    map --hook
    chainloader (hd0)+1
    rootnoverify (hd0)
    savedefault --wait=2

    title Fedora Core 5 Install
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

    however, this last entry, which i added myself, does not appear on the
    menu. I tried booting this last option manually by typing its code in
    the place of one of the other options at run time and I was told
    vmlinuz was not a valid command. I have this file in both partitions
    of my harddrive and tried booting with both hd(0,0) and hd(0,1) as the
    base device.

    perhaps vmlinuz is corrupted since it took forever to download (same
    with initrd.img). I dont have winrar to extract these files from the
    ..iso so maybe someone could send me an copy?

    so, choosing the first option (boot windows xp) i get another boot
    choice. windows xp or start grub (I added the line C:\grldr="Start
    GRUB" to my boot.ini as directed, so i think this is what i'm
    corrupted message. Thats where i'm at so far.

    I have the fedora 5 .iso's on both the 6 gig partition which i want to
    install fedora on (fat32) and in the shared documents folder of a
    computer on our house network which my lap top connects to via ethernet
    cable (ie not wireless). The network computer is running windows xp as
    well and their hd is ntfs. Either harddrive or network installs would
    work for me, but i feel like I wouldn't be able to install to the same
    partition that the .iso's are on (linux is going to need to write all
    over that partition).

    Any direction would be greatly appreciated. I can boot from a floppy if
    theres an easy way to start the install process from that. By the way,
    I'm a total inux noob.

    -010 010

    ps I just read the comment at the top of the menu.lst about running
    bootlace. I ran bootlace and got a list of switches i could add. I
    have no idea how to proceed with this bootlace buisness. I think maybe
    wingrub did it for me.

  2. Re: Installing fc5 from network of hd (dual boot)

    update:

    I wrote bootdisk.img from the fc5 cd #1 to a floppy using image writing
    software. Booting it i get that it has 8 cylinders instead of 80
    expected by bios, 64 heads instead of 2 and 32 tracks instead of 18.
    thats 16384 sectors instead of 2880. I dont know yet if this is the
    image, grub, the disk or the writing software, but i thought i'd post
    this while it was on the screen

  3. Re: Installing fc5 from network of hd (dual boot)

    ah, the image on the fdeora disk is 8mb, so it wouldn't fit on a disk.
    I found this: http://www.thisiscool.com/fcfloppy.htm

    I however am not running linux yet, so i dont know what to do with
    ..tar.bz2 files...

  4. Re: Installing fc5 from network of hd (dual boot)

    not that any one cares, but i resolved this by loading the kernel and
    the initrd from the grub command line.
    i typed these commands:

    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz #this tells grub where the kernel file
    is

    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.img #tells grub where the initrd file is

    boot #boots by loading the above files

    I used hd0,1 because my files where on my second partiton (hd0,0 is the
    c drive). the drive where these files are must be fat formatted (or
    maybe something else, but ntfs doesnt work). your drive # and kernal
    files might be called something different.

+ Reply to Thread