looking for Redhat 6.0 - Redhat

This is a discussion on looking for Redhat 6.0 - Redhat ; Hi, I'm looking for a Redhat 6.0 i386 ISO. I haven't been able to find one anywhere - yes, I know it's very old. I'm trying to install linux on an SGI 320, and this is the distribution recommended in ...

  1. looking for Redhat 6.0

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a Redhat 6.0 i386 ISO. I haven't been able to find one
    anywhere - yes, I know it's very old.

    I'm trying to install linux on an SGI 320, and this is the distribution
    recommended in the walkthrough
    (http://oss.sgi.com/www.linux.sgi.com/intel/visws/)

    Any help would be appreciated!

    lincoln

  2. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    Redhat 6.0

    ftp://ftp.dcc.uchile.cl/dsk/d12/redhat6.iso
    ftp://ftp.cs.pitt.edu/linux/rh6.0/redhat-6.0.iso
    ftp://ftp.imnorge.com/pub/linux/redh...redhat-6.0.iso
    ftp://ftp.mq.edu.au/unix/redhat-6.0/...otable.iso9660

    HTH

    bravemonkey wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a Redhat 6.0 i386 ISO. I haven't been able to find one
    > anywhere - yes, I know it's very old.
    >
    > I'm trying to install linux on an SGI 320, and this is the distribution
    > recommended (http://oss.sgi.com/www.linux.sgi.com/intel/visws/)
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > lincoln

  3. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    "bravemonkey" writes:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for a Redhat 6.0 i386 ISO. I haven't been able to find one
    >anywhere - yes, I know it's very old.
    >
    >I'm trying to install linux on an SGI 320, and this is the distribution
    >recommended in the walkthrough
    >(http://oss.sgi.com/www.linux.sgi.com/intel/visws/)
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    >lincoln

    All of the older redhat releases are at ftp://legacy.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux

    scott

  4. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 07:10:42 -0800, bravemonkey wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a Redhat 6.0 i386 ISO. I haven't been able to find one
    > anywhere - yes, I know it's very old.
    >
    > I'm trying to install linux on an SGI 320, and this is the distribution
    > recommended in the walkthrough
    > (http://oss.sgi.com/www.linux.sgi.com/intel/visws/)
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > lincoln

    You should be able to install a modern distribution on that box. If RH6
    supported it then more modern distros should work also. If I were you I'd
    try FC6 and see if that works. If it doesn't then try CentOS 3.x which is
    RHEL 3. RHEL 3 uses the 2.4 kernel instead of the modern 2.6 kernel.

  5. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    Thanks anyway, but all of those links are dead.

    I was able to get 6.2 from ftp://archive.download.redhat.com, but it's
    not working for me either on the SGI box.

    pavlos wrote:
    > Redhat 6.0
    >
    > ftp://ftp.dcc.uchile.cl/dsk/d12/redhat6.iso
    > ftp://ftp.cs.pitt.edu/linux/rh6.0/redhat-6.0.iso
    > ftp://ftp.imnorge.com/pub/linux/redh...redhat-6.0.iso
    > ftp://ftp.mq.edu.au/unix/redhat-6.0/...otable.iso9660
    >
    > HTH

  6. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    Hi Scott,

    Thanks but no go - the directory for 6.0 is empty.

    Scott Lurndal wrote:

    > All of the older redhat releases are at ftp://legacy.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux
    >
    > scott

  7. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    Thanks. I'll give CentOS a try, but I think the problem was more with
    the proprietary hardware then with the OS. Part of the problem is the
    SGI 320 can't boot from CD or from normal floppy boot disks.

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > You should be able to install a modern distribution on that box. If RH6
    > supported it then more modern distros should work also. If I were you I'd
    > try FC6 and see if that works. If it doesn't then try CentOS 3.x which is
    > RHEL 3. RHEL 3 uses the 2.4 kernel instead of the modern 2.6 kernel.

  8. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    I have the boxed set of Redhat 6.0 at home. If you /absolutely/ need 6.0
    and not a more recent release, I can make a copy of the CD and mail it.

    /paul

    bravemonkey wrote:
    > Hi Scott,
    >
    > Thanks but no go - the directory for 6.0 is empty.
    >

    > Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >
    >> All of the older redhat releases are at ftp://legacy.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux
    >>
    >> scott

  9. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:36:19 -0800, bravemonkey wrote:

    > Thanks. I'll give CentOS a try, but I think the problem was more with
    > the proprietary hardware then with the OS. Part of the problem is the
    > SGI 320 can't boot from CD or from normal floppy boot disks.
    >
    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>
    >> You should be able to install a modern distribution on that box. If RH6
    >> supported it then more modern distros should work also. If I were you I'd
    >> try FC6 and see if that works. If it doesn't then try CentOS 3.x which is
    >> RHEL 3. RHEL 3 uses the 2.4 kernel instead of the modern 2.6 kernel.

    What is an SGI 320? SGI machines were MIPS based for a long time. If that
    box has a MIPS instead of an X86 then you aren't going to be able to use a
    standard distro.

  10. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:36:19 -0800, bravemonkey wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks. I'll give CentOS a try, but I think the problem was more with
    > > the proprietary hardware then with the OS. Part of the problem is the
    > > SGI 320 can't boot from CD or from normal floppy boot disks.
    > >
    > > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > >>
    > >> You should be able to install a modern distribution on that box. If RH6
    > >> supported it then more modern distros should work also. If I were you I'd
    > >> try FC6 and see if that works. If it doesn't then try CentOS 3.x which is
    > >> RHEL 3. RHEL 3 uses the 2.4 kernel instead of the modern 2.6 kernel.

    > What is an SGI 320? SGI machines were MIPS based for a long time. If that
    > box has a MIPS instead of an X86 then you aren't going to be able to use a
    > standard distro.

    This is pitiful. First you give him that standard misadvice and now it turns out
    you're not sure it will work after all and didn't know what system he was using.
    He has evidence and already knows that RH 6.0 will work. I also have a boxed set
    with manuals and it's too bad he doesn't live a little closer, but my website
    can't hold files the size of that iso for him to download.

    Bob

  11. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    Hi Robert,

    Would you be able to ftp it to my server? It's only the one install
    disc that I need - if you can, I can email you the login info. That
    would be much appreciated.

    Robert Heiling wrote:

    > This is pitiful. First you give him that standard misadvice and now it turns out
    > you're not sure it will work after all and didn't know what system he was using.
    > He has evidence and already knows that RH 6.0 will work. I also have a boxed set
    > with manuals and it's too bad he doesn't live a little closer, but my website
    > can't hold files the size of that iso for him to download.
    >
    > Bob

  12. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    Sure! I'd be happy to. My address is good so send me the server login details
    and what form you'd like it in.

    Bob

    bravemonkey wrote:

    > Hi Robert,
    >
    > Would you be able to ftp it to my server? It's only the one install
    > disc that I need - if you can, I can email you the login info. That
    > would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Robert Heiling wrote:
    >
    > > This is pitiful. First you give him that standard misadvice and now it turns out
    > > you're not sure it will work after all and didn't know what system he was using.
    > > He has evidence and already knows that RH 6.0 will work. I also have a boxed set
    > > with manuals and it's too bad he doesn't live a little closer, but my website
    > > can't hold files the size of that iso for him to download.
    > >
    > > Bob

  13. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    General Schvantzkoph writes:
    >On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:36:19 -0800, bravemonkey wrote:

    >What is an SGI 320? SGI machines were MIPS based for a long time. If that
    >box has a MIPS instead of an X86 then you aren't going to be able to use a
    >standard distro.

    SGI 320 is an intel box that SGI foolishly designed and built during
    the reign of Rick Beluzzo. Good graphics boxes. There was also a
    SGI 540 server box.

    scott

  14. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    bravemonkey wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a Redhat 6.0 i386 ISO. I haven't been able to find one
    > anywhere - yes, I know it's very old.
    >
    > I'm trying to install linux on an SGI 320, and this is the distribution
    > recommended in the walkthrough
    > (http://oss.sgi.com/www.linux.sgi.com/intel/visws/)
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > lincoln

    Hi,

    Versions 1.0 up to 9 of the distribution from RedHat are to found here:
    http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/dis.../redhat/linux/

    Sincerely,

    Peter Jansson
    http://www.p-jansson.com/
    http://www.jansson.net/

  15. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    Hi Peter,

    As with the FTP directories that other people suggested, when you
    actually go into the 6.0 ISO folder at sunet.se, you would find it
    empty.

    Peter Jansson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Versions 1.0 up to 9 of the distribution from RedHat are to found here:
    > http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/dis.../redhat/linux/
    >

    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Peter Jansson
    > http://www.p-jansson.com/
    > http://www.jansson.net/

  16. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    bravemonkey wrote:
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > As with the FTP directories that other people suggested, when you
    > actually go into the 6.0 ISO folder at sunet.se, you would find it
    > empty.

    So? Go to:
    http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/dis...nux/6.0/en/os/

    Select your arch, download all the files, make your own ISO file and
    burn it. Back in the day everyone did this... (Actually, back in the
    day, we built install floppies.)

  17. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    Kevin Snodgrass wrote:
    > bravemonkey wrote:
    >> Hi Peter,
    >>
    >> As with the FTP directories that other people suggested, when you
    >> actually go into the 6.0 ISO folder at sunet.se, you would find it
    >> empty.

    > So? Go to:
    > http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/dis...nux/6.0/en/os/
    >

    > Select your arch, download all the files, make your own ISO file and
    > burn it. Back in the day everyone did this... (Actually, back in the
    > day, we built install floppies.)

    Although its' true that the basic files are there to to make an ISO, that
    suggestion is a bit like telling him to lift himself by his own
    bootstraps. Without the target system (Linux 6.0) having been installed,
    theres' no obvious way to make use of mkisofs. Theres' no evidence that
    another Linux system is available and hints to the contrary and his
    headers show that he is posting from Windows. In Windows he would need
    to buy commercial software to make the ISO. A trial copy of one that I
    have is limited to creating ISO´s no larger than 300 MB, far below what
    is needed.

    So it appears that the only practical route is via an ISO that already
    exists.

    Bob

  18. Re: looking for Redhat 6.0

    It was an ISO I needed - I'm too much of a linux n00b to make my own
    iso within linux.

    I'm happy to report though that RedHat 6.0 is installed and running on
    the SGI 320, and the major components (gnome, networking, mouse and
    keyboard) are working.

    Thanks for the ISO, Bob, and to everyone else for suggestions!

    lincoln

    On Jan 13, 11:09 am, Robert Heiling wrote:
    > Kevin Snodgrass wrote:
    > > bravemonkey wrote:
    > >> Hi Peter,

    > >> As with the FTP directories that other people suggested, when you
    > >> actually go into the 6.0 ISO folder at sunet.se, you would find it
    > >> empty.

    > > So? Go to:
    > >http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/dis...edhat-archive/...

    > > Select your arch, download all the files, make your own ISO file and
    > > burn it. Back in the day everyone did this... (Actually, back in the
    > > day, we built install floppies.)Although its' true that the basic filesare there to to make an ISO, that

    > suggestion is a bit like telling him to lift himself by his own
    > bootstraps. Without the target system (Linux 6.0) having been installed,
    > theres' no obvious way to make use of mkisofs. Theres' no evidence that
    > another Linux system is available and hints to the contrary and his
    > headers show that he is posting from Windows. In Windows he would need
    > to buy commercial software to make the ISO. A trial copy of one that I
    > have is limited to creating ISO´s no larger than 300 MB, far below what
    > is needed.
    >
    > So it appears that the only practical route is via an ISO that already
    > exists.
    >
    > Bob

+ Reply to Thread