Installing Second Processors - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installing Second Processors - Redhat ; We have a number of Fujitsu Siemens Primergy 470 machines we are installing Fedora Core 5 on, they have second Pentium III processors installed. I also have some older FS Primergy 470 machines that have FC4 and FC5 already installed. ...

  1. Installing Second Processors

    We have a number of Fujitsu Siemens Primergy 470 machines we are installing
    Fedora Core 5 on, they have second Pentium III processors installed.

    I also have some older FS Primergy 470 machines that have FC4 and FC5
    already installed.

    Questions :-

    1) How do you detect how many CPU's are installed from the command
    line ?
    2) Do you have to do anything at install time for the second
    processors to be used ?
    3) What about adding CPU's later after an install what do you have
    to do to have them installed ?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Aaron

  2. Re: Installing Second Processors

    Aaron Gray wrote:
    > We have a number of Fujitsu Siemens Primergy 470 machines we are installing
    > Fedora Core 5 on, they have second Pentium III processors installed.
    >
    > I also have some older FS Primergy 470 machines that have FC4 and FC5
    > already installed.
    >
    > Questions :-
    >
    > 1) How do you detect how many CPU's are installed from the command
    > line ?
    > 2) Do you have to do anything at install time for the second
    > processors to be used ?
    > 3) What about adding CPU's later after an install what do you have
    > to do to have them installed ?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Aaron

    Type "cat /proc/cpuinfo"

    Count how many processors you have.

    -M

  3. Re: Installing Second Processors

    Marko Nurmenniemi wrote:
    > Aaron Gray wrote:
    >
    >> We have a number of Fujitsu Siemens Primergy 470 machines we are
    >> installing Fedora Core 5 on, they have second Pentium III processors
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> I also have some older FS Primergy 470 machines that have FC4 and FC5
    >> already installed.
    >>
    >> Questions :-
    >>
    >> 1) How do you detect how many CPU's are installed from the
    >> command line ?
    >> 2) Do you have to do anything at install time for the second
    >> processors to be used ?
    >> 3) What about adding CPU's later after an install what do you
    >> have to do to have them installed ?
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Aaron
    >>

    > Type "cat /proc/cpuinfo"
    >
    > Count how many processors you have.
    >
    > -M

    Marko and Aaron,

    Other option:

    top
    press 1
    count the look at the top lines.

    Both methods do not work if you have Pentium IV with hyperthreading or
    dual core CPU's.

    A hyperthread bus or a Core is seen as a logical CPU, both methods show
    logical CPU's instead of physical CPU's.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  4. Re: Installing Second Processors

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:35:42 +0000, Aaron Gray wrote:

    > We have a number of Fujitsu Siemens Primergy 470 machines we are installing
    > Fedora Core 5 on, they have second Pentium III processors installed.
    >
    > I also have some older FS Primergy 470 machines that have FC4 and FC5
    > already installed.
    >
    > Questions :-
    >
    > 1) How do you detect how many CPU's are installed from the command
    > line ?
    > 2) Do you have to do anything at install time for the second
    > processors to be used ?
    > 3) What about adding CPU's later after an install what do you have
    > to do to have them installed ?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Aaron

    cat /proc/cpuinfo will tell you how many processors the system sees.

    All you need to use both processors is an SMP kernel. If you did the
    Fedora install after both processors were installed then the installer
    would have picked an SMP kernel for you. If you've added the second
    processor after you did the install then you'll have to install an SMP
    kernel yourself. Just bring up Yumex and search for kernel, it will list
    the available kernels.

  5. Re: Installing Second Processors

    Thanks Guys, yumex, thats a new one, great stuff.

    Many thanks,

    Aaron

+ Reply to Thread