Fodora Core 6 on New Notebook - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fodora Core 6 on New Notebook - Redhat ; Hi, I have a HP DV9000 series notebook with Media Center Edition installed. When I installed FC6 it would only boot to windows xp. Any ideas? Dean...

  1. Fodora Core 6 on New Notebook

    Hi,

    I have a HP DV9000 series notebook with Media Center Edition installed.

    When I installed FC6 it would only boot to windows xp.

    Any ideas?

    Dean

  2. Re: Fodora Core 6 on New Notebook

    On Dec 22, 9:31 am, "Dean Browning" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a HP DV9000 series notebook with Media Center Edition installed.
    >
    > When I installed FC6 it would only boot to windows xp.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Dean

    Did you install grub????

    Did you set windows as default boot???

    If so you may just be missing the grub boot screen, it's only there for
    5 secs by default, (well FC5 is). Watch the boot procces carefully, you
    should see a screen that says press any key within 5 secs to enter grub
    menu.

    If you don't get that, you probably haven't installed grub to the MBR.
    You can do that with your DVD.

  3. Re: Fodora Core 6 on New Notebook

    Yes, I did setup the grub. It just went to Windows Media Center. And I did
    set fc6 as default

    Dean

    "decrepit" wrote in message
    news:1166783017.895576.148500@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...

    > On Dec 22, 9:31 am, "Dean Browning" wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a HP DV9000 series notebook with Media Center Edition installed.
    >>
    >> When I installed FC6 it would only boot to windows xp.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Dean

    > Did you install grub????
    >
    > Did you set windows as default boot???
    >
    > If so you may just be missing the grub boot screen, it's only there for
    > 5 secs by default, (well FC5 is). Watch the boot procces carefully, you
    > should see a screen that says press any key within 5 secs to enter grub
    > menu.
    >
    > If you don't get that, you probably haven't installed grub to the MBR.
    > You can do that with your DVD.

  4. Re: Fodora Core 6 on New Notebook

    I just installed FC6 on a similar machine, the HP 6040us. I think the
    problem you are having is that the hard drive is set up with three
    partitions, one for Win Media, one for the recovery (approx. 11 GB.), and a
    small (1 GB) file for "I don't know". The Media partition on mine was
    originally 111 GB and I was unable to reduce it in size to allow enough
    space for FC6 to load.. I finally reconfigured the drive manually,
    allocating 75 GB for Windows, 39 GB for FC6, and left the 1 GB partition
    alone. I the installed Win XP Pro on the large partition, and FC6 on the 39
    GB one. That worked. The problem I am now having is that the system works
    fine in Windows, but is erratic on boot for Linux. I am still trying to
    figure that one out.

    Shel

    "Dean Browning" wrote in message
    news:GHFih.34601$wc5.13522@newssvr25.news.prodigy. net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a HP DV9000 series notebook with Media Center Edition installed.
    >
    > When I installed FC6 it would only boot to windows xp.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Dean

  5. Re: Fodora Core 6 on New Notebook

    I think it may have to do with the way that media center uses the boot
    sector of the hard drive... I think that fe6 was unable to right the grub
    where it needed to.

    Dean

    "Shel" wrote in message
    news:6IXih.8025$ZT3.2237@newssvr19.news.prodigy.co m...
    >I just installed FC6 on a similar machine, the HP 6040us. I think the
    >problem you are having is that the hard drive is set up with three
    >partitions, one for Win Media, one for the recovery (approx. 11 GB.), and
    >a small (1 GB) file for "I don't know". The Media partition on mine was
    >originally 111 GB and I was unable to reduce it in size to allow enough
    >space for FC6 to load.. I finally reconfigured the drive manually,
    >allocating 75 GB for Windows, 39 GB for FC6, and left the 1 GB partition
    >alone. I the installed Win XP Pro on the large partition, and FC6 on the 39
    >GB one. That worked. The problem I am now having is that the system works
    >fine in Windows, but is erratic on boot for Linux. I am still trying to
    >figure that one out.
    >
    > Shel
    >
    > "Dean Browning" wrote in message
    > news:GHFih.34601$wc5.13522@newssvr25.news.prodigy. net...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a HP DV9000 series notebook with Media Center Edition installed.
    >>
    >> When I installed FC6 it would only boot to windows xp.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Dean

  6. Re: Fodora Core 6 on New Notebook

    "Dean Browning" wrote in message
    news:fZVih.2042$x67.1402@newssvr17.news.prodigy.ne t...
    > Yes, I did setup the grub. It just went to Windows Media Center. And I
    > did set fc6 as default

    On boot up press [Escape] to get to the Grub menu.
    By default , Fedora places the HiddenMenu command in the grub.conf file ,
    once you get access to Fedora , edit the grub.conf file to remove or comment
    out the HiddenMenu command.

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  7. Re: Fodora Core 6 on New Notebook

    It just brought up the xp menu

    Dean

    "Sandgroper" wrote in message

    > "Dean Browning" wrote in message
    > news:fZVih.2042$x67.1402@newssvr17.news.prodigy.ne t...
    >> Yes, I did setup the grub. It just went to Windows Media Center. And I
    >> did set fc6 as default
    >>

    > On boot up press [Escape] to get to the Grub menu.
    > By default , Fedora places the HiddenMenu command in the grub.conf file ,
    > once you get access to Fedora , edit the grub.conf file to remove or
    > comment out the HiddenMenu command.
    >

    > --
    > True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.
    >

    > Sandgroper
    > Remove KNICKERS to Email
    > steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

+ Reply to Thread