system down emergency - Redhat

This is a discussion on system down emergency - Redhat ; This isn't quite an install question, but it's kind of related. Our email server has a processor check on it. Dell came out to install a new processor. In one cascading catastrophe after another, we ended up with a server ...

  1. system down emergency

    This isn't quite an install question, but it's kind of related.

    Our email server has a processor check on it. Dell came out to install
    a new processor. In one cascading catastrophe after another, we ended
    up with a server that wouldn't boot. The Dell technician told us that
    we would lose all of the data on our PowerVault storage device. And we
    have no backup (another very long story).

    Before we go any further, I want to be positive that there isn't some
    way to save the data on the RAID device. This box is running AS 4.0 (or
    it was before the technician hosed the kernel). All of the drives on the
    array were configured as one LVM - software RAID.

    When we attempt to boot the machine we get "invalid partition table
    /dev/sdb wrong image dd3e". If we boot into recovery mode, we can see
    everything still on the system except for what should be in /usr/local -
    and that's apparently the file system that was created on the array.

    Anyone know of anything we can try?

  2. Re: system down emergency - additional information

    It's a Dell PowerVault - it was configured as software RAID 5, then all
    of the drives were grouped together with LVM. Last night a Dell
    technician plugged a cable into the wrong spot and then attempted a RAID
    5 hardware configuration without asking anyone, so we lost our partition
    table. Dell says it's unrecoverable. I'm grasping at straws in a last
    ditch effort here. I don't want to format this server and start over if
    there's any hope of recovery.

    Geek wrote:
    > This isn't quite an install question, but it's kind of related.
    >
    > Our email server has a processor check on it. Dell came out to install
    > a new processor. In one cascading catastrophe after another, we ended
    > up with a server that wouldn't boot. The Dell technician told us that
    > we would lose all of the data on our PowerVault storage device. And we
    > have no backup (another very long story).
    >
    > Before we go any further, I want to be positive that there isn't some
    > way to save the data on the RAID device. This box is running AS 4.0 (or
    > it was before the technician hosed the kernel). All of the drives on the
    > array were configured as one LVM - software RAID.
    >
    > When we attempt to boot the machine we get "invalid partition table
    > /dev/sdb wrong image dd3e". If we boot into recovery mode, we can see
    > everything still on the system except for what should be in /usr/local -
    > and that's apparently the file system that was created on the array.
    >
    > Anyone know of anything we can try?

  3. Re: system down emergency - additional information

    Try posting in alt.comp.hardware both for recovery ideas and for tips on other
    groups/forums that might be able to help you.

    Bob

    Geek wrote:

    > It's a Dell PowerVault - it was configured as software RAID 5, then all
    > of the drives were grouped together with LVM. Last night a Dell
    > technician plugged a cable into the wrong spot and then attempted a RAID
    > 5 hardware configuration without asking anyone, so we lost our partition
    > table. Dell says it's unrecoverable. I'm grasping at straws in a last
    > ditch effort here. I don't want to format this server and start over if
    > there's any hope of recovery.
    >
    > Geek wrote:
    > > This isn't quite an install question, but it's kind of related.
    > >
    > > Our email server has a processor check on it. Dell came out to install
    > > a new processor. In one cascading catastrophe after another, we ended
    > > up with a server that wouldn't boot. The Dell technician told us that
    > > we would lose all of the data on our PowerVault storage device. And we
    > > have no backup (another very long story).
    > >
    > > Before we go any further, I want to be positive that there isn't some
    > > way to save the data on the RAID device. This box is running AS 4.0 (or
    > > it was before the technician hosed the kernel). All of the drives on the
    > > array were configured as one LVM - software RAID.
    > >
    > > When we attempt to boot the machine we get "invalid partition table
    > > /dev/sdb wrong image dd3e". If we boot into recovery mode, we can see
    > > everything still on the system except for what should be in /usr/local -
    > > and that's apparently the file system that was created on the array.
    > >
    > > Anyone know of anything we can try?

  4. Re: system down emergency - additional information

    Thanks!

    Robert Heiling wrote:
    > Try posting in alt.comp.hardware both for recovery ideas and for tips on other
    > groups/forums that might be able to help you.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > Geek wrote:
    >> It's a Dell PowerVault - it was configured as software RAID 5, then all
    >> of the drives were grouped together with LVM. Last night a Dell
    >> technician plugged a cable into the wrong spot and then attempted a RAID
    >> 5 hardware configuration without asking anyone, so we lost our partition
    >> table. Dell says it's unrecoverable. I'm grasping at straws in a last
    >> ditch effort here. I don't want to format this server and start over if
    >> there's any hope of recovery.
    >>
    >> Geek wrote:
    >>> This isn't quite an install question, but it's kind of related.
    >>>
    >>> Our email server has a processor check on it. Dell came out to install
    >>> a new processor. In one cascading catastrophe after another, we ended
    >>> up with a server that wouldn't boot. The Dell technician told us that
    >>> we would lose all of the data on our PowerVault storage device. And we
    >>> have no backup (another very long story).
    >>>
    >>> Before we go any further, I want to be positive that there isn't some
    >>> way to save the data on the RAID device. This box is running AS 4.0 (or
    >>> it was before the technician hosed the kernel). All of the drives on the
    >>> array were configured as one LVM - software RAID.
    >>>
    >>> When we attempt to boot the machine we get "invalid partition table
    >>> /dev/sdb wrong image dd3e". If we boot into recovery mode, we can see
    >>> everything still on the system except for what should be in /usr/local -
    >>> and that's apparently the file system that was created on the array.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of anything we can try?

+ Reply to Thread