Intel Pentium D 930 - i386 or x86_64? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Intel Pentium D 930 - i386 or x86_64? - Redhat ; The Pentium D 930 supports EM64T. Do I need the x86_64 distribution of FC6, or will the i386 version also run on this processor? I have always assumed that Intel processors in the x86 line are downwards compatible, that is ...

  1. Intel Pentium D 930 - i386 or x86_64?

    The Pentium D 930 supports EM64T.

    Do I need the x86_64 distribution of FC6, or will the i386 version
    also run on this processor?

    I have always assumed that Intel processors in the x86 line are
    downwards compatible, that is they will run an i386 architecture
    version of Linux, albeit with less performance. Is this still
    correct, or does EM64T break backwards compatibility with respect
    to Linux?

  2. Re: Intel Pentium D 930 - i386 or x86_64?

    My understanding is that you can install either i386 or x64 Linux.

    HTH

    Jim Garrison wrote:
    > The Pentium D 930 supports EM64T.
    >
    > Do I need the x86_64 distribution of FC6, or will the i386 version
    > also run on this processor?
    >
    > I have always assumed that Intel processors in the x86 line are
    > downwards compatible, that is they will run an i386 architecture
    > version of Linux, albeit with less performance. Is this still
    > correct, or does EM64T break backwards compatibility with respect
    > to Linux?

+ Reply to Thread