RedHat linux 9 installation help needed! - Redhat

This is a discussion on RedHat linux 9 installation help needed! - Redhat ; I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble installing it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to boot from the CD. And when i boot from a ...

  1. RedHat linux 9 installation help needed!

    I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble installing
    it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to boot
    from the CD.

    And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not found
    in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    ok"

    But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I tried
    just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    error.

    can anyone help?

  2. Re: RedHat linux 9 installation help needed!

    Ray wrote:
    > I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble installing
    > it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to boot
    > from the CD.

    > And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not found
    > in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    > ok"

    > But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I tried
    > just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    > error.

    > can anyone help?

    I can only say I tried and gave up on an 8 to 9 upgrade. I down loaded twice,
    made two sets of CDs, put them all through the self-check successfully and still
    had unreadable files. Next I tried switching out the CD from the second set when
    the first set found an error and vice versa. That worked to get me through to
    the end but at the end it said there was no room to install and quit.

    I stuck with RH 8 until I installed RH4 on a virgin new machine. I have yet to
    come up with even a new for the strange behavior of the upgrade failure.

    Unless you really need 9 I would suggest going with FC6 or using RH 8.

  3. Re: RedHat linux 9 installation help needed!

    Make sure you burn the iso on a CD correctly. If you burn incorrectly,
    the iso will appear as one single file on your CD. That won't boot.

    If you're using win to burn the iso, there are free programs that do so
    (burnatonce.com comes to mind). If you're using another Linux box, k3b
    is a good CD burn program.

    Also, change your BIOS to boot from CD first.

    HTH

    Ray wrote:

    > I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble installing
    > it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to boot
    > from the CD.
    >
    > And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not found
    > in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    > ok"
    >

    > But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I tried
    > just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    > error.
    >
    > can anyone help?

  4. Re: RedHat linux 9 installation help needed!

    Matt Giwer wrote:

    > I can only say I tried and gave up on an 8 to 9 upgrade. I down loaded twice,
    > made two sets of CDs, put them all through the self-check successfully and still
    > had unreadable files. Next I tried switching out the CD from the second set when
    > the first set found an error and vice versa. That worked to get me through to
    > the end but at the end it said there was no room to install and quit.

    You may have had a bad download on those. Did you verify the md5sum's of each
    download against the published md5sum's? Burning a CD with a bad download would
    cause that.

    > I stuck with RH 8 until I installed RH4 on a virgin new machine. I have yet to
    > come up with even a new for the strange behavior of the upgrade failure.
    >
    > Unless you really need 9 I would suggest going with FC6 or using RH 8.

    Some people couldn't get _any_ FCx install not to blowup without knowing the
    well-kept secret word. Guess who? and guess who got sick & tired of trying this
    and trying that like "linux option list"? Even found what seemed to be the right
    bug report.

    Bob

  5. Re: RedHat linux 9 installation help needed!

    Robert Heiling wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >> I can only say I tried and gave up on an 8 to 9 upgrade. I down loaded twice,
    >> made two sets of CDs, put them all through the self-check successfully and still
    >> had unreadable files. Next I tried switching out the CD from the second set when
    >> the first set found an error and vice versa. That worked to get me through to
    >> the end but at the end it said there was no room to install and quit.

    > You may have had a bad download on those. Did you verify the md5sum's of each
    > download against the published md5sum's? Burning a CD with a bad download would
    > cause that.

    Yes. md5sums as well as the self test before starting installation. Everything
    passed. It was the actual install program objecting. At first I expected there
    was some odd CD defect with the first burn set (spends longer in the drive than
    just for testing) and expected when I switched to a disk from the second burn
    set it would go smoothly to the end. No. I switched back and forth several
    times. The problems started about just before the middle of the third disk. I
    was back and forth several times but did not count. Taking a disk out to cool
    off (didn't really notice it was warm) did not help.

    What might be a clue is when it came to a package it could not install it did
    not give an error message but the same message as when it is time to change CDs
    on a good install. I guess that is the same algorithm they have used since they
    went to more than one disk so it may have something to do with the problem.

    I have installed many Redhats and one Slack over the years and 9 is the only
    one that frustrated me.

    >> I stuck with RH 8 until I installed RH4 on a virgin new machine. I have yet to
    >> come up with even a new for the strange behavior of the upgrade failure.

    >> Unless you really need 9 I would suggest going with FC6 or using RH 8.

    > Some people couldn't get _any_ FCx install not to blowup without knowing the
    > well-kept secret word. Guess who? and guess who got sick & tired of trying this
    > and trying that like "linux option list"? Even found what seemed to be the right
    > bug report.

    I have no idea what that problem might be either. I only use plain vanilla
    desktops after they have passed the time when there is a premium price for state
    of the art. So if you are trying it on current generation laptop expect problems
    as that is where most problems seem to appear. Laptops tend to do non-standard
    things to get performance and it takes time to get the new things into the linux
    programming community to address them.

    I have had an odd problem with a FC4 to 6 upgrade but it was livable and I was
    ready to add a new drive anyway so a virgin install on the new drive was a good
    enough solution. Symlinks to the /home and /root directories were all that was
    needed and it let me keep the OS on a separate drive as the ultimate paranoid
    intrusion protection.

  6. Re: RedHat linux 9 installation help needed!

    Ray wrote:
    > I now have the iso images for redhat linux, but im having trouble installing
    > it. can anyone help. when i extract the files to cd i am not able to boot
    > from the CD.

    > And when i boot from a floppy i get up to "The Redhat Linux CD was not found
    > in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Red hat linux CD and press
    > ok"

    > But the cd is in! I tried extract all the files to the cd and also I tried
    > just burning the straight IMG file to the CD and it still gives the same
    > error.

    > can anyone help?

    Boot you computer normally and put the CD in and mount it. Look at what is on
    the disk. It has to be several directories. If it is one file you burned it wrong.

  7. Re: RedHat linux 9 installation help needed!

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > Robert Heiling wrote:
    >> Matt Giwer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can only say I tried and gave up on an 8 to 9 upgrade. I down
    >>> loaded twice, made two sets of CDs, put them all through the
    >>> self-check successfully and still had unreadable files.

    Do you mean that the error message included the word ¨unreadable¨ or did
    it just tell you to insert another CD? along the lines you mention below.

    >>> Next I tried switching out the CD from the second set when the
    >>> first set found an error and vice versa. That worked to get me
    >>> through to the end but at the end it said there was no room to
    >>> install and quit.

    >> You may have had a bad download on those. Did you verify the
    >> md5sum's of each download against the published md5sum's? Burning a
    >> CD with a bad download would cause that.

    > Yes. md5sums as well as the self test before starting installation.
    > Everything passed. It was the actual install program objecting. At first
    > I expected there was some odd CD defect with the first burn set (spends
    > longer in the drive than just for testing) and expected when I switched
    > to a disk from the second burn set it would go smoothly to the end. No.
    > I switched back and forth several times. The problems started about just
    > before the middle of the third disk. I was back and forth several times
    > but did not count. Taking a disk out to cool off (didn't really notice
    > it was warm) did not help.

    It´s so hard to believe there was anything wrong with those CD´s. Your
    clue below sounds as though you are on the right track and it was taking
    different paths through the install code after each error message and CD.

    > What might be a clue is when it came to a package it could not
    > install it did not give an error message but the same message as when it
    > is time to change CDs on a good install. I guess that is the same
    > algorithm they have used since they went to more than one disk so it may
    > have something to do with the problem.
    >
    > I have installed many Redhats and one Slack over the years and 9 is
    > the only one that frustrated me.

    But, as you said, it was an upgrade install from 8 to 9. I´ve seldom had
    any problems with a clean install of RH9.

    >>> I stuck with RH 8 until I installed RH4 on a virgin new machine.
    >>> I have yet to come up with even a new for the strange behavior of
    >>> the upgrade failure.

    >>> Unless you really need 9 I would suggest going with FC6 or using
    >>> RH 8.

    I run FC6 on my regular system, but my problem install was on an old
    Gateway that doesn´t have the hardware specs to run FCx. There should be
    no requirement to explain to the world that all you need is an answer to
    a RH9 question. They either know the answer or they don´t. In my case,
    there actually was someone who did try to help among the knee jerk
    reaction crowd. Nothing did help though and I installed Debian instead.

    >> Some people couldn't get _any_ FCx install not to blowup without
    >> knowing the well-kept secret word. Guess who? and guess who got
    >> sick & tired of trying this and trying that like "linux option
    >> list"? Even found what seemed to be the right bug report.

    > I have no idea what that problem might be either. I only use plain
    > vanilla desktops after they have passed the time when there is a premium
    > price for state of the art. So if you are trying it on current
    > generation laptop expect problems as that is where most problems seem to
    > appear. Laptops tend to do non-standard things to get performance and it
    > takes time to get the new things into the linux programming community to
    > address them.

    It was this system, which is a considerably less than state of the art
    Compaq Presario. It was running RH9 then and I downloaded & burned the
    DVD for FC4. That would boot up to the first screen, but no matter what
    I threw at it - linux noprobe, resolution, mem=, dd, etc ad nauseum - I
    would get kernel panic when I hit carriage return. That one cost me a
    lot of time because the crowd here said try this, try that, etc and
    nothing worked. I also tracked down what might have been the right bug
    report. I downloaded the first CD of FC1, FC2, FC3 and discovered that
    the problem had been around since day one. That all got stale though and
    I dropped it.

    Then months later, I was looking into a totally different matter and
    something rang a bell. I went back to my FC4 DVD and gave it ¨linux
    acpi=off¨ and that did the trick. I can´t recall RH9 having that
    problem. but itś not as state of the art as FCx I guess.

    > I have had an odd problem with a FC4 to 6 upgrade but it was livable
    > and I was ready to add a new drive anyway so a virgin install on the new
    > drive was a good enough solution. Symlinks to the /home and /root
    > directories were all that was needed and it let me keep the OS on a
    > separate drive as the ultimate paranoid intrusion protection.

    I´ve had both FC5 and FC6 running on this system and just a few minutes
    ago finished an upgrade install of the FC5 to FC6. Looks good so far and
    now that I have a partition available I just may install RH6 or RH7.2
    for old time´s sake. Paid an arm & a leg for that RH6.0, but only had
    dialup at the time and it was about the only way to go.

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread