linux stops to boot the second time. - Redhat

This is a discussion on linux stops to boot the second time. - Redhat ; Hi, I have a P4 system with 2 hard drives (80 and 40G). I had partitioned 80G hard drive into 2 equal partitions. On the second partition I tried to install Red Hat Linux AS 4 (2.6 kernel). The installations ...

  1. linux stops to boot the second time.

    Hi,
    I have a P4 system with 2 hard drives (80 and 40G). I had partitioned
    80G hard drive into 2 equal partitions. On the second partition I tried
    to install Red Hat Linux AS 4 (2.6 kernel).

    The installations goes through smoothly and then asks for reboot as a
    normal procedure. At this time, the reboot happens perfectly and then a
    bunch of information gathering (license, useradd, etc) happens.

    After this is done. I go for a reboot. At this time, I get the grub
    boot loader options. I choose linux. During this time, the linux
    booting starts. After a certain point of time (probably after starting
    the HAL daemon), my system starts flickering, and the system just
    hangs. I noted that the LED for caps lock and scroll lock on my
    keyboard starts flashing.

    I am not able to do anything. I tried for a re-install but again ran
    into the same problem while booting for the second time.

    Again I tried to install linux. This time on the other drive (40G).
    Changed the boot loader, had the boot loader on the first section of
    the second hard drive (/dev/hdc). Changed the drive order in the BIOS -
    hard drive settings. The linux booting starts but stops with the same
    behavior as mentioned above.

    Guys, any clue why this could be happening. Help me in getting the
    linux booted up and running.

  2. Re: linux stops to boot the second time.

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway brajshyamrai@gmail.com typed:
    > Hi,
    > I have a P4 system with 2 hard drives (80 and 40G). I had partitioned
    > 80G hard drive into 2 equal partitions. On the second partition I tried
    > to install Red Hat Linux AS 4 (2.6 kernel).
    >
    > The installations goes through smoothly and then asks for reboot as a
    > normal procedure. At this time, the reboot happens perfectly and then a
    > bunch of information gathering (license, useradd, etc) happens.
    >
    > After this is done. I go for a reboot. At this time, I get the grub
    > boot loader options. I choose linux. During this time, the linux
    > booting starts. After a certain point of time (probably after starting
    > the HAL daemon), my system starts flickering, and the system just
    > hangs. I noted that the LED for caps lock and scroll lock on my
    > keyboard starts flashing.
    >
    > I am not able to do anything. I tried for a re-install but again ran
    > into the same problem while booting for the second time.
    >
    > Again I tried to install linux. This time on the other drive (40G).
    > Changed the boot loader, had the boot loader on the first section of
    > the second hard drive (/dev/hdc). Changed the drive order in the BIOS -
    > hard drive settings. The linux booting starts but stops with the same
    > behavior as mentioned above.
    >
    > Guys, any clue why this could be happening. Help me in getting the
    > linux booted up and running.

    Try pressing ctrl/alt/f1 or ctrl/alt/f2 or ... and you might see some
    error messages, although flashing keyboard leds usually means it's
    completely dead and won't respond.

    I would boot from a rescue CD and change the default runlevel to 3.
    Getting rid of of the gui generally reveals a whole swag of boot
    messages. Also, you can press the 'I' key at the appropriate time
    during boot, run the boot in interactive mode and see which service
    is causing the box to crash.

    If you think that the haldaemon is causing problems, get rid of it.
    I manage quite well without this daemon; I am happy to manually mount
    CDs, USB devices, etc manually. We have had several server crashes
    at work when memory sticks were plugged in and the haldaemon tried
    to handle this situation. OK, this was back in the RH9 days but since
    then I have never installed the haldaemon.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)