upgrade FC 4->6 experience - Redhat

This is a discussion on upgrade FC 4->6 experience - Redhat ; My first attempt was taking so long I went to bed certain it would be finished by morning. It was not. I have no idea why. After two days of screwing around, thinking about it, I decided the simplest thing ...

  1. upgrade FC 4->6 experience

    My first attempt was taking so long I went to bed certain it would be
    finished by morning. It was not. I have no idea why.

    After two days of screwing around, thinking about it, I decided the
    simplest thing to do was to try it again. It worked sort of perfectly
    save some of the glibc headers appear to be wrong.

    No need for replies just keep it in mind.

  2. Re: upgrade FC 4->6 experience

    On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:38:46 +0000, Matt Giwer wrote this:

    > My first attempt was taking so long I went to bed certain it would be
    > finished by morning. It was not. I have no idea why.
    >
    > After two days of screwing around, thinking about it, I decided the
    > simplest thing to do was to try it again. It worked sort of perfectly save
    > some of the glibc headers appear to be wrong.
    >
    > No need for replies just keep it in mind.

    That's weird!?

    FWIW on glibc:
    $ rpm -qa --last > all_rpms_byInstalled_date.txt

    review, update or remove obsolete rpms

    $ sort all_rpms_byInstalled_date.txt | less

    $ rpm -q -whatrequires glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4

    no package requires glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4
    no package requires ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4

    $ yum erase glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4

  3. Re: upgrade FC 4->6 experience

    noi wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:38:46 +0000, Matt Giwer wrote this:
    >
    >> My first attempt was taking so long I went to bed certain it would be
    >> finished by morning. It was not. I have no idea why.
    >>
    >> After two days of screwing around, thinking about it, I decided the
    >> simplest thing to do was to try it again. It worked sort of perfectly save
    >> some of the glibc headers appear to be wrong.
    >>
    >> No need for replies just keep it in mind.

    > That's weird!?
    >
    > FWIW on glibc:
    > $ rpm -qa --last > all_rpms_byInstalled_date.txt
    >
    > review, update or remove obsolete rpms
    >
    > $ sort all_rpms_byInstalled_date.txt | less
    >
    > $ rpm -q -whatrequires glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4
    >
    > no package requires glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4
    > no package requires ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4
    >
    > $ yum erase glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4

    Lets try this from the top without instructions. What should I be
    trying to accomplish with this exercise? I am far from a newbie.

    Are you saying there might be older installs that are interfering? I
    can find those more easily than you suggest.

    Give me the objective rather than the method. I would appreciate it
    that way.

  4. Re: upgrade FC 4->6 experience

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:52:14 +0000, Matt Giwer wrote this:

    > noi wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:38:46 +0000, Matt Giwer wrote this:
    >>
    >>> My first attempt was taking so long I went to bed certain it would be
    >>> finished by morning. It was not. I have no idea why.
    >>>
    >>> After two days of screwing around, thinking about it, I decided the
    >>> simplest thing to do was to try it again. It worked sort of perfectly
    >>> save some of the glibc headers appear to be wrong.
    >>>
    >>> No need for replies just keep it in mind.

    >> That's weird!?
    >>
    >> FWIW on glibc:
    >> $ rpm -qa --last > all_rpms_byInstalled_date.txt
    >>
    >> review, update or remove obsolete rpms
    >>
    >> $ sort all_rpms_byInstalled_date.txt | less
    >>
    >> $ rpm -q -whatrequires glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4
    >>
    >> no package requires glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 no package requires
    >> ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4
    >>
    >> $ yum erase glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4

    > Lets try this from the top without instructions. What should I be
    > trying to accomplish with this exercise? I am far from a newbie.
    >
    > Are you saying there might be older installs that are interfering? I
    > can find those more easily than you suggest.
    >
    > Give me the objective rather than the method. I would appreciate it
    > that way.

    Yes that's what I'm suggesting.
    I don't know you or your level of expertise.

    I'm sorry for posting a suggestion.

  5. Re: upgrade FC 4->6 experience

    noi wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:52:14 +0000, Matt Giwer wrote this:
    >
    >> noi wrote:

    >>> That's weird!?
    >>>
    >>> FWIW on glibc:
    >>> $ rpm -qa --last > all_rpms_byInstalled_date.txt
    >>>
    >>> review, update or remove obsolete rpms
    >>>
    >>> $ sort all_rpms_byInstalled_date.txt | less
    >>>
    >>> $ rpm -q -whatrequires glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4
    >>>
    >>> no package requires glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 no package requires
    >>> ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4
    >>>
    >>> $ yum erase glibc-xx.x.x-x.fc4 ckermit-x.x.x.x-x.fc4

    >> Lets try this from the top without instructions. What should I be
    >> trying to accomplish with this exercise? I am far from a newbie.
    >>
    >> Are you saying there might be older installs that are interfering? I
    >> can find those more easily than you suggest.
    >>
    >> Give me the objective rather than the method. I would appreciate it
    >> that way.

    > Yes that's what I'm suggesting.
    > I don't know you or your level of expertise.
    >
    > I'm sorry for posting a suggestion.

    I appreciate it. I was just trying to understand the suggestion. You
    gave me a process instead of what to do. I will give it a try. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread