yum - Redhat

This is a discussion on yum - Redhat ; hi, I installed yum. But if I try to perform any operation like install,update,remove I'm getting the following error Cannot find any conf file.eg I tried something like this yum -y update jdk-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.rpm and I got error "Cannot find any ...

  1. yum

    hi,
    I installed yum.
    But if I try to perform any operation like install,update,remove I'm
    getting the following error
    Cannot find any conf file.eg I tried something like this
    yum -y update jdk-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.rpm
    and I got error "Cannot find any conf file"
    I was in the directory where jdk-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.rpm file exists.
    I was trying this command by entering su and my password.
    how to execute commands with yum?..please help.

    Regards
    Subhadip

  2. Re: yum

    Subha wrote:
    > hi,
    > I installed yum.
    > But if I try to perform any operation like install,update,remove I'm
    > getting the following error
    > Cannot find any conf file.eg I tried something like this
    > yum -y update jdk-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.rpm
    > and I got error "Cannot find any conf file"
    > I was in the directory where jdk-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.rpm file exists.
    > I was trying this command by entering su and my password.
    > how to execute commands with yum?..please help.
    >
    > Regards
    > Subhadip

    I think yum is looking for the /etc/yum.conf file, if you don't have it,
    this is what mine looks like on FC4

    > [main]
    > cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    > debuglevel=2
    > logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    > pkgpolicy=newest
    > distroverpkg=redhat-release
    > tolerant=1
    > exactarch=1
    > retries=20
    > obsoletes=1
    > gpgcheck=1
    > metadata_expire=1800
    >
    > # PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
    > # in /etc/yum.repos.d

+ Reply to Thread