KDE INSTALLATION - Redhat

This is a discussion on KDE INSTALLATION - Redhat ; I JUST STARTED USING LINUX.I WAS READING THE BEGINER'S TUTORIAL IN A SITE.IT IS WRITTEN THAT KDE IS VERY USEFUL FOR BEGINNERS.SO I TRIED TO DOWNLOAD KDE. 1)I AM USING ENTERPRISE RED HAT LINUX VERSION 3.I AM CONFUSED ABOUT WHICH ...

  1. KDE INSTALLATION

    I JUST STARTED USING LINUX.I WAS READING THE BEGINER'S TUTORIAL IN A
    SITE.IT IS WRITTEN THAT KDE IS VERY USEFUL FOR BEGINNERS.SO I TRIED TO
    DOWNLOAD KDE.

    1)I AM USING ENTERPRISE RED HAT LINUX VERSION 3.I AM CONFUSED ABOUT
    WHICH FILE SHOULD I DOWNLOAD.I DOWNLOADED
    kdeaccessibility-3.4.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm FILE FROM THIS SITE
    ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.3/AIX/5.1/.DID I DOWNLOAD RIGHT
    ONE?

    2)WHAT IS THE .RPM EXTENTION?

    3)WHERE WILL I GET THE INSTRUCTION TO INSTALL IT?.
    REGARDS
    SUBHADIP

  2. Re: KDE INSTALLATION

    "Subha" wrote in message
    news:1164480168.964010.56880@l12g2000cwl.googlegro ups.com...
    > I JUST STARTED USING LINUX.I WAS READING THE BEGINER'S TUTORIAL IN A
    > SITE.IT IS WRITTEN THAT KDE IS VERY USEFUL FOR BEGINNERS.SO I TRIED TO
    > DOWNLOAD KDE.
    >
    > 1)I AM USING ENTERPRISE RED HAT LINUX VERSION 3.I AM CONFUSED ABOUT
    > WHICH FILE SHOULD I DOWNLOAD.I DOWNLOADED
    > kdeaccessibility-3.4.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm FILE FROM THIS SITE
    > ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.3/AIX/5.1/.DID I DOWNLOAD RIGHT
    > ONE?

    Kde should have been installed during a standard installation , to check if
    kde is installed , at a terminal use the command
    rpm -qi kdebase
    or
    rpm -q kdebase
    rpm -ql kdebase

    If kde is installed , then at the login screen , there is a menu option of
    "Session" which will give you the option of logging in using Gnome / Kde
    If kde is not installed , then you will have to install it using the RH
    Add/Remove packages tool.

    > 2)WHAT IS THE .RPM EXTENTION?
    >
    > 3)WHERE WILL I GET THE INSTRUCTION TO INSTALL IT?.
    > REGARDS
    > SUBHADIP

    RPM file extension is a for the Red Hat Package Management application , the
    rpm is a very powerful tool that allows you to install , upgrade , query ,
    remove and build linux packages / applications.

    All linux packages are installed /removed using rpm in the format of
    rpm

    Check out the man pages for rpm to see the list of options
    ( man rpm )

    Here is just one of the many HOWTOs that you can find on Google
    http://www.linuxjunkies.org/html/RPM-HOWTO.html

    Also , for a more user friendlier package management tool , check up on Yum
    and Yumex .

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

+ Reply to Thread