Why Fedora 3-4-5 know my display configuration, but Fedora 6 does not do - Redhat

This is a discussion on Why Fedora 3-4-5 know my display configuration, but Fedora 6 does not do - Redhat ; hi, I have the NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX400 display adapter with a generic CRT (H48.4 Khz,V60.0Hz at 1024x768); before i never met a problem with previous versions of fedora, but now i tried fedora 6 and it can't Start X ...

  1. Why Fedora 3-4-5 know my display configuration, but Fedora 6 does not do

    hi,

    I have the NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX400 display adapter with a generic CRT
    (H48.4 Khz,V60.0Hz at 1024x768); before i never met a problem with
    previous versions of fedora, but now i tried fedora 6 and it can't
    Start X server despite it know my display adapter.

    before in red hat 7.x we have a good tool for configuring X window in
    text mode but now i don't know what they suggest as alternative to the
    old tool, and they offer a tool that needs X window running to adjust X
    window configuration !!!

    i want to be guided to the natural way they suppose to solve such
    problems.

    thank u.

  2. Re: Why Fedora 3-4-5 know my display configuration, but Fedora 6 does not do

    Bilal D. wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I have the NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX400 display adapter with a generic CRT
    > (H48.4 Khz,V60.0Hz at 1024x768); before i never met a problem with
    > previous versions of fedora, but now i tried fedora 6 and it can't
    > Start X server despite it know my display adapter.
    >
    > before in red hat 7.x we have a good tool for configuring X window in
    > text mode but now i don't know what they suggest as alternative to the
    > old tool, and they offer a tool that needs X window running to adjust X
    > window configuration !!!
    >
    > i want to be guided to the natural way they suppose to solve such
    > problems.
    >
    > thank u.

    I'm researching the same problem with my installation. I believe there
    are text mode tools to do this but I haven't been able to find/run
    them. They are supposed to be xorgcfg -textmode, xorgconfig and
    setuptool.

    Have you solved your problem?

  3. Re: Why Fedora 3-4-5 know my display configuration, but Fedora 6 does not do

    of course, i have solved the pb manually by editing the xorg.conf
    configuration file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    # XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"

    # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name
    of the
    # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
    # no need to change the default.
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated
    together)
    # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent
    of
    # the X server to render fonts.
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "fbdevhw"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    Load "dri"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
    # Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
    # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
    # Option "XkbDisable"
    # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
    # lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
    # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
    # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
    #
    # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
    # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # or:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    #
    # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
    # control keys, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
    # Or if you just want both to be control, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
    #
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "500E"
    DisplaySize 280 210
    HorizSync 30.0 - 54.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group 0
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    u may identify ur problem by reading the log file generated after
    launching X or system-config-display: /var/log/Xorg.0.log

    my problem was with the monitor so i added the section:

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "1554"
    DisplaySize 280 210
    HorizSync 30.0 - 54.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

    these information come with the monitor manual and may be found on its
    back.

    good luck!!!

  4. Re: Why Fedora 3-4-5 know my display configuration, but Fedora 6 does not do

    i missed that,

    it is also possible to use
    system-config-display in text mode to configure options:

    ex:
    system-config-display --set-resolution=1024x768

    good luck;

  5. Re: Why Fedora 3-4-5 know my display configuration, but Fedora 6 does not do

    Bilal D. wrote:
    > i missed that,
    >
    > it is also possible to use
    > system-config-display in text mode to configure options:
    >
    > ex:
    > system-config-display --set-resolution=1024x768
    >
    > good luck;

    Thanks. I was not able to run system-config-display -v and the --set-
    options didn't seem to be working. After looking at your config and
    searching the net for the man pages, I was able to edit the file
    successfully. The biggest change was replacing "radeon" with "vesa".
    This was the key to my problem of not getting to the desktop.

    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread