Grub with RH or Fedora - Redhat

This is a discussion on Grub with RH or Fedora - Redhat ; Grub with RH or Fedora ================= hi, can someone tell me how to restore boot menu without updating linux OS, before i was using lilo, so if i miss boot data on mbr i just run linux rescue --> chroot ...

  1. Grub with RH or Fedora

    Grub with RH or Fedora
    =================

    hi,

    can someone tell me how to restore boot menu without updating linux OS,
    before i was using lilo, so if i miss boot data on mbr i just run linux
    rescue --> chroot /mnt/sysimage -->an lunch lilo with the old
    configuration file, but with grub i see that it is more complicated.

    thanx 4all.

  2. Re: Grub with RH or Fedora

    Bilal D. wrote:

    > Grub with RH or Fedora
    > =================
    >
    > hi,
    >
    > can someone tell me how to restore boot menu without updating linux OS,
    > before i was using lilo, so if i miss boot data on mbr i just run linux
    > rescue --> chroot /mnt/sysimage -->an lunch lilo with the old
    > configuration file, but with grub i see that it is more complicated.

    You perform almost the same operation to reinstall grub on mbr.
    Boot into rescue mode, chroot /mnt/sysimage and run
    grub-install /dev/hda (or whatever drive you boot from)

    --
    Regards,
    Tore

  3. Re: Grub with RH or Fedora

    "Bilal D." wrote in message
    news:1164285630.996968.17200@m7g2000cwm.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Grub with RH or Fedora
    > =================
    >
    > hi,
    >
    > can someone tell me how to restore boot menu without updating linux OS,
    > before i was using lilo, so if i miss boot data on mbr i just run linux
    > rescue --> chroot /mnt/sysimage -->an lunch lilo with the old
    > configuration file, but with grub i see that it is more complicated.

    You are on the right track.
    Boot into rescue mode and mount the file system like you have been doing and
    then use the grub install command
    grub-install /dev/hda

    Before doing the install , you can check it with
    grub-install - -recheck /dev/hda

    ( hda or whatever the location is for the mbr )

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

+ Reply to Thread