RHEL4 Update 2 WS, but where is vsftpd? - Redhat

This is a discussion on RHEL4 Update 2 WS, but where is vsftpd? - Redhat ; Hi all, Well i'm a newbie in the RedHat world, after several years spent with the Debian community. I have to manage RedHat servers, and my first job is to install a ftp server. After a quick search, i found ...

  1. RHEL4 Update 2 WS, but where is vsftpd?

    Hi all,

    Well i'm a newbie in the RedHat world, after several years spent with
    the Debian community.
    I have to manage RedHat servers, and my first job is to install a ftp
    server. After a quick search, i found that vsftpd was included in the
    RHEL4, but when i manage to install new packages, there isn't any ftp
    server. I try to find the vsftpd rpm on the four install CDs, but there
    isn't the correct package.

    Well, nevermind, i decided to download the generic vsftpd.rpm, and
    during the install, some dependencies problem occured (libc, libssl,
    libpam, libcrypto and rtld something like that).
    And i hoped to find these common libs on one of the install cd, but
    nope.

    Is it normal for a simple ftp server install all those steps?

  2. Re: RHEL4 Update 2 WS, but where is vsftpd?

    larabox@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Well i'm a newbie in the RedHat world, after several years spent with
    > the Debian community.
    > I have to manage RedHat servers, and my first job is to install a ftp
    > server. After a quick search, i found that vsftpd was included in the
    > RHEL4, but when i manage to install new packages, there isn't any ftp
    > server. I try to find the vsftpd rpm on the four install CDs, but there
    > isn't the correct package.
    >
    > Well, nevermind, i decided to download the generic vsftpd.rpm, and
    > during the install, some dependencies problem occured (libc, libssl,
    > libpam, libcrypto and rtld something like that).
    > And i hoped to find these common libs on one of the install cd, but
    > nope.
    >
    > Is it normal for a simple ftp server install all those steps?

    Larabox,

    The WS distro does not contain any tcp/ip server applications on the
    installation CD's. The tcp/ip server applications are on ES or AS distro.

    Look at the package list of WS on RHN and you may find that the vsftpd
    package is not in your subscription channel.

    it is not in the package list for you subscription channel you might not
    get support for vsftpd from Red Hat.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerit Kootstra

  3. Re: RHEL4 Update 2 WS, but where is vsftpd?

    Hi Jan,

    Well ok, as i can see, all the tcp/ip server appz are missing. Thanks
    for your help.
    And if i want to install ftp server, does i have to download AS or ES
    install cd to have the corresponding rpm package, or can i find it
    directly on the net?

    Thanks for all

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra a écrit :

    > larabox@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Well i'm a newbie in the RedHat world, after several years spent with
    > > the Debian community.
    > > I have to manage RedHat servers, and my first job is to install a ftp
    > > server. After a quick search, i found that vsftpd was included in the
    > > RHEL4, but when i manage to install new packages, there isn't any ftp
    > > server. I try to find the vsftpd rpm on the four install CDs, but there
    > > isn't the correct package.
    > >
    > > Well, nevermind, i decided to download the generic vsftpd.rpm, and
    > > during the install, some dependencies problem occured (libc, libssl,
    > > libpam, libcrypto and rtld something like that).
    > > And i hoped to find these common libs on one of the install cd, but
    > > nope.
    > >
    > > Is it normal for a simple ftp server install all those steps?
    > >

    > Larabox,
    >

    > The WS distro does not contain any tcp/ip server applications on the
    > installation CD's. The tcp/ip server applications are on ES or AS distro.
    >
    > Look at the package list of WS on RHN and you may find that the vsftpd
    > package is not in your subscription channel.
    >
    > it is not in the package list for you subscription channel you might not
    > get support for vsftpd from Red Hat.
    >

    > Kind regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerit Kootstra

  4. Re: RHEL4 Update 2 WS, but where is vsftpd?

    larabox@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Jan,
    >
    > Well ok, as i can see, all the tcp/ip server appz are missing. Thanks
    > for your help.
    > And if i want to install ftp server, does i have to download AS or ES
    > install cd to have the corresponding rpm package, or can i find it
    > directly on the net?
    >
    > Thanks for all
    >
    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra a écrit :
    >

    >>larabox@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>Well i'm a newbie in the RedHat world, after several years spent with
    >>>the Debian community.
    >>>I have to manage RedHat servers, and my first job is to install a ftp
    >>>server. After a quick search, i found that vsftpd was included in the
    >>>RHEL4, but when i manage to install new packages, there isn't any ftp
    >>>server. I try to find the vsftpd rpm on the four install CDs, but there
    >>>isn't the correct package.
    >>>
    >>>Well, nevermind, i decided to download the generic vsftpd.rpm, and
    >>>during the install, some dependencies problem occured (libc, libssl,
    >>>libpam, libcrypto and rtld something like that).
    >>>And i hoped to find these common libs on one of the install cd, but
    >>>nope.
    >>>
    >>>Is it normal for a simple ftp server install all those steps?
    >>>

    >>Larabox,
    >>

    >>The WS distro does not contain any tcp/ip server applications on the
    >>installation CD's. The tcp/ip server applications are on ES or AS distro.
    >>
    >>Look at the package list of WS on RHN and you may find that the vsftpd
    >>package is not in your subscription channel.
    >>
    >>it is not in the package list for you subscription channel you might not
    >>get support for vsftpd from Red Hat.
    >>

    >>Kind regards,
    >>

    >>Jan Gerit Kootstra

    Hi Lara (if that is your name?),

    You can find them on the net, on the Red Hat Network. You just need an
    ES or AS subscription.

    If you want to be able to use up2date to update also vsftpd, you
    probably need to do a reinstall or upgrade by CD. The redhat-release rpm
    needs to be replaced to get the update option for the tcp/ip server rpms.

    I never did this so I am not sure, always use ES at home and ES or AS at
    the office.

    The choice for AS or ES depends on the number of CPU's (1 or 2 physical
    cpu's: ES more AS), amount of memory (16GB or less ES, more AS) or 24*7
    telephone support AS, 8*5 or 9*5 (USA only) ES.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

+ Reply to Thread