Linux RH9 installation problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on Linux RH9 installation problem - Redhat ; Dear all, I am trying to install Redhat 9 on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion ze5200. However there is a big problem. I booted from the installation CD, and chose graphic installation, and the kernel was up. Then ...

  1. Linux RH9 installation problem

    Dear all,

    I am trying to install Redhat 9 on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion
    ze5200. However there is a big problem.

    I booted from the installation CD, and chose graphic installation, and
    the kernel was up. Then the system
    dispalyed "Loading ohci1394 driver", and entered the CD media checking
    interface, where the system was
    "dead" and refused to response any key stroke. The only thing I could
    do was turn off the power.

    I tried text installation mode, and some other mode (kernel mode and
    even rescue mode), the system always
    had the same problem.

    I tried to intall on this laptop another distribution which was not
    from redhat, and it was successful. I am
    also sure the installation CD is ok because it works well on another
    old desktop.

    So could you help me on installing RH9 on my laptop?
    Any advice is very welcome.

    Sincerely yours
    Charlie

  2. Re: Linux RH9 installation problem

    This is a message that I just post and could be useful for you

    Fei, there you are a site,
    http://ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/linux/fedo...6/x86_64//iso/ and don't
    worry, it's one of the links that www.redhat.com/fedora gives you to
    download from.

    to explain a little bit more, RedHat had a free version which was until
    version 9 with an option to be supported from them, then they decided
    to provide 2 versions Fedora and RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).

    They put everything new in Fedora for the comunity to try, when it
    works "perfectly 100%" they put into RHEL, so, you have the newest free
    software in Fedora. So RedHat Linux 9 is a bit out of date!!! try with
    Fedora!!!

    I hope it helps you

    xqma2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am trying to install Redhat 9 on my laptop, which is an HP Pavilion
    > ze5200. However there is a big problem.
    >
    > I booted from the installation CD, and chose graphic installation, and
    > the kernel was up. Then the system
    > dispalyed "Loading ohci1394 driver", and entered the CD media checking
    > interface, where the system was
    > "dead" and refused to response any key stroke. The only thing I could
    > do was turn off the power.
    >
    > I tried text installation mode, and some other mode (kernel mode and
    > even rescue mode), the system always
    > had the same problem.
    >
    > I tried to intall on this laptop another distribution which was not
    > from redhat, and it was successful. I am
    > also sure the installation CD is ok because it works well on another
    > old desktop.
    >
    > So could you help me on installing RH9 on my laptop?
    > Any advice is very welcome.
    >
    > Sincerely yours
    > Charlie

+ Reply to Thread