newbie - Fedora Core 6 - Redhat

This is a discussion on newbie - Fedora Core 6 - Redhat ; Hi everybody, Forgive the question, but I had some problems with the installation of the Core 6 of Fedora. I tried to install it on a AMD64 with an ATI X700SE. If I choose the "text mode" there are no ...

  1. newbie - Fedora Core 6

    Hi everybody,
    Forgive the question, but I had some problems with the installation
    of the Core 6 of Fedora. I tried to install it on a AMD64 with an ATI
    X700SE. If I choose the "text mode" there are no problems until the firt
    reboot. When the PC restart I get an "Out of range" during the start-up
    of the Graphical interface and I can't complete the installation. Does
    anybody can help me? Please!

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: newbie - Fedora Core 6

    LuisLuis wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    > Forgive the question, but I had some problems with the installation
    > of the Core 6 of Fedora. I tried to install it on a AMD64 with an ATI
    > X700SE. If I choose the "text mode" there are no problems until the firt
    > reboot. When the PC restart I get an "Out of range" during the start-up
    > of the Graphical interface and I can't complete the installation. Does
    > anybody can help me? Please!

    I am still using FC4 and have not installed 6 yet so I am interested in knowing
    more. Where were you given the choice of 'text mode'? During installation? Then
    it likely did not install graphics programs. Just a guess.

    --
    We learn from Lebanon that the most moral army in the world makes the most
    immoral mistakes of any army in the world.

  3. Re: newbie - Fedora Core 6

    Matt Giwer ha scritto:
    > LuisLuis wrote:
    >> Hi everybody,
    >> Forgive the question, but I had some problems with the installation
    >> of the Core 6 of Fedora. I tried to install it on a AMD64 with an ATI
    >> X700SE. If I choose the "text mode" there are no problems until the
    >> firt reboot. When the PC restart I get an "Out of range" during the
    >> start-up of the Graphical interface and I can't complete the
    >> installation. Does anybody can help me? Please!

    > I am still using FC4 and have not installed 6 yet so I am interested
    > in knowing more. Where were you given the choice of 'text mode'? During
    > installation? Then it likely did not install graphics programs. Just a
    > guess.

    Well, at the beginning of the installation (just in the first startup
    where you are prompted to insert any parameter, like the screen
    resolution, etc...), It asks for a that choice. I've typed "linux text"
    and the rest of the installation has proceeded in text mode, but this it
    doesn't mean that the graphical programs won't be installed on your
    machine. I hope to have answered you in the best way and forgive for my
    "macaroni" English.

  4. Re: newbie - Fedora Core 6

    LuisLuis wrote:
    > Matt Giwer ha scritto:
    >> LuisLuis wrote:
    >>> Hi everybody,
    >>> Forgive the question, but I had some problems with the
    >>> installation of the Core 6 of Fedora. I tried to install it on a
    >>> AMD64 with an ATI X700SE. If I choose the "text mode" there are no
    >>> problems until the firt reboot. When the PC restart I get an "Out of
    >>> range" during the start-up of the Graphical interface and I can't
    >>> complete the installation. Does anybody can help me? Please!

    >> I am still using FC4 and have not installed 6 yet so I am
    >> interested in knowing more. Where were you given the choice of 'text
    >> mode'? During installation? Then it likely did not install graphics
    >> programs. Just a guess.

    > Well, at the beginning of the installation (just in the first startup
    > where you are prompted to insert any parameter, like the screen
    > resolution, etc...), It asks for a that choice. I've typed "linux text"
    > and the rest of the installation has proceeded in text mode, but this it
    > doesn't mean that the graphical programs won't be installed on your
    > machine. I hope to have answered you in the best way and forgive for my
    > "macaroni" English.

    You are correct in that it would install the graphics programs. I never tried
    just a text mode installation but if it was that question it has nothing to do
    with what is installed. And that means I have no idea what the problem is.

    The first thing to try is a reinstall. That worked for me once for some odd
    problem I forget. This time install it in the graphics mode and that will test
    that the distribution can use the graphics mode of your machine. Do I correctly
    assume it has worked with Windows and therefore you know the graphics hardware
    is working correctly?

    =====

    English is one of the most forgiving languages in the world. You should not
    worry about it. I have understood all but the worst English and then it only
    took explaining the possible meanings of the questionable part to get a
    clarification.

    Your English is fine. The only thing is your apologetic tone with forgive and
    please. Those are not part of common English. The Brits think us Americans are
    blunt but even they do not use such terms.

    --
    The total failure in Iraq is the execution of the post war strategy but the
    war itself. There was never a way it could win. No people have ever accepted

  5. Re: newbie - Fedora Core 6

    Matt Giwer ha scritto:
    > LuisLuis wrote:
    >> Matt Giwer ha scritto:
    >>> I am still using FC4 and have not installed 6 yet so I am
    >>> interested in knowing more. Where were you given the choice of 'text
    >>> mode'? During installation? Then it likely did not install graphics
    >>> programs. Just a guess.

    >> Well, at the beginning of the installation (just in the first startup
    >> where you are prompted to insert any parameter, like the screen
    >> resolution, etc...), It asks for a that choice. I've typed "linux
    >> text" and the rest of the installation has proceeded in text mode, but
    >> this it doesn't mean that the graphical programs won't be installed on
    >> your machine. I hope to have answered you in the best way and forgive
    >> for my "macaroni" English.

    > You are correct in that it would install the graphics programs. I
    > never tried just a text mode installation but if it was that question it
    > has nothing to do with what is installed. And that means I have no idea
    > what the problem is.
    >
    > The first thing to try is a reinstall. That worked for me once for
    > some odd problem I forget. This time install it in the graphics mode and
    > that will test that the distribution can use the graphics mode of your
    > machine. Do I correctly assume it has worked with Windows and therefore
    > you know the graphics hardware is working correctly?
    >
    > =====
    >
    > English is one of the most forgiving languages in the world. You
    > should not worry about it. I have understood all but the worst English
    > and then it only took explaining the possible meanings of the
    > questionable part to get a clarification.
    >
    > Your English is fine. The only thing is your apologetic tone with
    > forgive and please. Those are not part of common English. The Brits
    > think us Americans are blunt but even they do not use such terms.

    Thanks for your suggestion!
    I've tried to install Windows XP and it works fine with no particular
    problem in graphics interface. Then I tried to reinstall Linux Fedora
    Core 6 using the graphics mode and It works since the end... At the
    first reboot I get an error from my monitor: "Out of range". Probably
    the frequency detected is too high or the resolution is impossible for
    my monitor... :-( I've no idea.
    May be I can try with a previous core, what do you think about that?

  6. Re: newbie - Fedora Core 6

    LuisLuis wrote:
    > Matt Giwer ha scritto:
    >
    >> LuisLuis wrote:

    >>> Well, at the beginning of the installation (just in the first startup
    >>> where you are prompted to insert any parameter, like the screen
    >>> resolution, etc...), It asks for a that choice. I've typed "linux
    >>> text" and the rest of the installation has proceeded in text mode,
    >>> but this it doesn't mean that the graphical programs won't be
    >>> installed on your machine. I hope to have answered you in the best
    >>> way and forgive for my "macaroni" English.

    >> You are correct in that it would install the graphics programs. I
    >> never tried just a text mode installation but if it was that question
    >> it has nothing to do with what is installed. And that means I have no
    >> idea what the problem is.
    >>
    >> The first thing to try is a reinstall. That worked for me once for
    >> some odd problem I forget. This time install it in the graphics mode
    >> and that will test that the distribution can use the graphics mode of
    >> your machine. Do I correctly assume it has worked with Windows and
    >> therefore you know the graphics hardware is working correctly?

    > Thanks for your suggestion!
    > I've tried to install Windows XP and it works fine with no particular
    > problem in graphics interface. Then I tried to reinstall Linux Fedora
    > Core 6 using the graphics mode and It works since the end... At the
    > first reboot I get an error from my monitor: "Out of range". Probably
    > the frequency detected is too high or the resolution is impossible for
    > my monitor... :-( I've no idea.

    Wild guess since I have not installed 6 yet, all the previous I have used do so
    with a low graphics mode. It looks like 640x480 but not sure how many colors. So
    you know the graphics works there. So the next step is to start it in a lower
    graphics mode or try ctrl-all- - minus sign and see if it works.

    > May be I can try with a previous core, what do you think about that?

    If the an earlier one works then you need to report the problem to Redhat.
    Worth a try.

    --
    Consider Jews have said they will continue to try to murder Nasrallah, the
    leader of Hezbollah, but he has not said he will try to murder the leader of

  7. Re: newbie - Fedora Core 6

    Adding to the last, FC-4 failed to recognize that my monitor can do the 12xx by
    9xx or whatever and incorrectly limited my max to 800x600x16M. I would have set
    it to that max myself so I didn't change anything. Meaning I haven't fooled with
    changing the boot time for so long I forget how. So if that is your problem make
    a new post asking how to do that.

    I got started in these newsgroups as a newbie. I quickly found I had managed to
    screw up and then fix so many mistakes that I had a lot of useful knowledge.

    One last thought. The mythical properly designed software should give error
    messages with three things. The package generating the message, an error number
    and the brief verbal description you have posted. If it did give the other two
    then find the docs on that package and read the details on that error number.
    That assumes it is also in the group of the mythical properly documented software.

    --
    Muslims do not hate Americans. Muslims hate neocons. So does everyone. I
    don't see a problem with that.

  8. Re: newbie - Fedora Core 6

    Matt Giwer ha scritto:
    > Adding to the last, FC-4 failed to recognize that my monitor can do
    > the 12xx by 9xx or whatever and incorrectly limited my max to
    > 800x600x16M. I would have set it to that max myself so I didn't change
    > anything. Meaning I haven't fooled with changing the boot time for so
    > long I forget how. So if that is your problem make a new post asking how
    > to do that.
    >
    > I got started in these newsgroups as a newbie. I quickly found I had
    > managed to screw up and then fix so many mistakes that I had a lot of
    > useful knowledge.
    >
    > One last thought. The mythical properly designed software should
    > give error messages with three things. The package generating the
    > message, an error number and the brief verbal description you have
    > posted. If it did give the other two then find the docs on that package
    > and read the details on that error number. That assumes it is also in
    > the group of the mythical properly documented software.

    Thank you very much for your help! This evening I'll try. :-)

  9. Re: newbie - Fedora Core 6

    |> I've tried to install Windows XP and it works fine with no particular
    |> problem in graphics interface. Then I tried to reinstall Linux Fedora
    |> Core 6 using the graphics mode and It works since the end... At the
    |> first reboot I get an error from my monitor: "Out of range". Probably
    |> the frequency detected is too high or the resolution is impossible for
    |> my monitor... :-( I've no idea.
    |> May be I can try with a previous core, what do you think about that?

    Now we get to a problem I encountered on the FC6 installation. The solution is to run the
    sysadmin display setup menus and create a descent /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

    I have seen a case where the installation fails to put the terminal model number into the file,
    and then lacks display modes and also lacks the horizontal and vertical refresh rates. This
    would cause the OUT OF RANGE on your display.

    Regards.

    --
    Richard Schaal richschaal@netscape.net
    "I can type faster than I can think!"