GRUB and BIOS screen in perpetual loop.... - Redhat

This is a discussion on GRUB and BIOS screen in perpetual loop.... - Redhat ; Progress, but some setbacks... I finally got GRUB to present both OS to choose from by running 'linux rescue', mounting my image and then running 'grub-install' per these instructions with the caveat that I was installing on hda (not sda). ...

  1. GRUB and BIOS screen in perpetual loop....

    Progress, but some setbacks...

    I finally got GRUB to present both OS to choose from by running 'linux rescue', mounting my image and then running 'grub-install' per these instructions with the caveat that I was installing on hda (not sda). I rebooted and chose to load XP. Worked like a champ.

    Then I rebooted XP, got the Dell BIOS screen and GRUB started to load. Then the BIOS screen. Then GRUB again. Then BIOS. GRUB was in an infinite loop. I booted to my XP system disk and went into recovery console where I ran fixmbr. Rebooted the system and no GRUB (as expected). XP came up shortly thereafter without issue.

    So, I booted to my FC6 DVD and did the 'linux rescue' thing again, reinstalling GRUB once more on hda. Installed, no problem.

    Quote:
    This is the contents of the device map \boot\grub\device.map. Check to see if this is correct or not...."

    (fd0) /dev/fd0
    (hd0) /dev/hda
    (hd1) /dev/hdb
    (hd2) /dev/sda

    Map looked ok to me. Floppy, two physical HDD and one external IEEE 1394 drive. No problems. Reboot and GRUB comes up asking me to choose OS, so this time I chose my FC6 install and go through the intial setup of FC6, fiddle around for a while and shutdown the computer.

    Reboot and we're back to the GRUB loop again.

    What's going on? I can't fixmbr every time I want to boot into Linux

  2. Re: GRUB and BIOS screen in perpetual loop....

    Joe Murphy wrote:
    > Progress, but some setbacks...
    >
    > I finally got GRUB to present both OS to choose from by running 'linux
    > rescue', mounting my image and then running 'grub-install' per these
    > instructions
    >
    > with the caveat that I was installing on hda (not sda). I rebooted and
    > chose to load XP. Worked like a champ.
    >
    > Then I rebooted XP, got the Dell BIOS screen and GRUB started to load.
    > Then the BIOS screen. Then GRUB again. Then BIOS. GRUB was in an
    > infinite loop. I booted to my XP system disk and went into recovery
    > console where I ran fixmbr. Rebooted the system and no GRUB (as
    > expected). XP came up shortly thereafter without issue.
    >
    > So, I booted to my FC6 DVD and did the 'linux rescue' thing again,
    > reinstalling GRUB once more on hda. Installed, no problem.
    >
    > Quote:
    > This is the contents of the device map \boot\grub\device.map. Check to
    > see if this is correct or not...."
    >
    > (fd0) /dev/fd0
    > (hd0) /dev/hda
    > (hd1) /dev/hdb
    > (hd2) /dev/sda
    >
    > Map looked ok to me. Floppy, two physical HDD and one external IEEE 1394
    > drive. No problems. Reboot and GRUB comes up asking me to choose OS, so
    > this time I chose my FC6 install and go through the intial setup of FC6,
    > fiddle around for a while and shutdown the computer.
    >
    > Reboot and we're back to the GRUB loop again.
    >
    > What's going on? I can't fixmbr every time I want to boot into Linux

    What a strange problem, hope somebody can solve it.
    I have a suspicion it may be something to do with the Dell BIOS.
    It may be worth googling something like Dell bios Linux install problem

+ Reply to Thread