rEFIt hell (my dual boot nightmare) - Redhat

This is a discussion on rEFIt hell (my dual boot nightmare) - Redhat ; 95% of my problem is sheer ignorance and I need enlightenment on dual-booting an Intel Mac Mini with OSX and FC6. Apparently and allegedly it can be done. Believe me, I have been all over trying to find out how ...

  1. rEFIt hell (my dual boot nightmare)

    95% of my problem is sheer ignorance and I need enlightenment on dual-booting an Intel Mac Mini with OSX and FC6. Apparently and allegedly it can be done. Believe me, I have been all over trying to find out how to make this work and my aforementioned ignorance of UNIX and bootloaders, etc., is my achilles heel.

    Check out http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/Dual_Booting

    The instructions tell me to update firmware on the Mac and install rEFIt and then partition the drive using Boot Camp and boot to a live CD of Linux and run Parted to delete the Windows partions created by Boot Camp. All of this I feel I can handle until I get to the part described below, which is foreign to me.

    For example, I don't konw how to mount/unmount the root partition or copy files from the Live CD into /mnt. I don't know how, then, I could install FC6 from here or how to install LILO, exactly. I come from the Windows/DOS world. Have mercy.

    Mount the root partition on /mnt, along with any other Linux partition created before. Copy all the Live CD contents (except /proc, /initrd and /mnt) into /mnt. Create the /mnt/proc directory and chroot to /mnt. Mount the /proc virtual filesystem. Now you should be able to do pretty much anything needed to set up Linux. You may want to recompile the kernel, since the one from the Live CD may not include support for the root filesystem (e.g. ReiserFS).

    Install LILO (apt-get install lilo) without guided configuration creation and bootloader installation. Create a /etc/lilo.conf by hand with the following contents:

    append="noapic"

    boot=/dev/sda
    root=/dev/sda4

    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=Linux
    read-write
    Quit the chroot'ed shell and unmount the disk partition from /mnt. Type reboot to reboot. Hold the touchpad button on startup to eject the Live CD. The rEFIt menu should offer a choice between booting MacOS X and Linux. Before continuing select the partition tool entry to create a mirrored set of MBR partitions based on your GPT partitions. Once this is done select Linux and boot into the newly installed distribution.

  2. Re: rEFIt hell (my dual boot nightmare)

    G'Day Joe,
    Afraid I'm not going to be a great help to you, but you're instructions
    don't apear to be for a fedora system, for a start I don't think there's
    such a thing as a Fedora live CD, and it uses GRUB not LILO as a boot
    loader. But with any luck somebody has done it and can give you the
    correct details.

    You could also ask the Fedora section of Linux Questions Forum

    Joe Murphy wrote:
    > 95% of my problem is sheer ignorance and I need enlightenment on
    > dual-booting an Intel Mac Mini with OSX and FC6. Apparently and
    > allegedly it can be done. Believe me, I have been all over trying to
    > find out how to make this work and my aforementioned ignorance of UNIX
    > and bootloaders, etc., is my achilles heel.
    >
    > Check out http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/Dual_Booting
    >
    > The instructions tell me to update firmware on the Mac and install rEFIt
    > and then partition the drive using Boot
    > Camp and boot to a live CD of
    > Linux and run Parted to delete the Windows partions created by Boot
    > Camp. All of this I feel I can handle until I get to the part described
    > below, which is foreign to me.
    >
    > For example, I don't konw how to mount/unmount the root partition or
    > copy files from the Live CD into /mnt. I don't know how, then, I could
    > install FC6 from here or how to install LILO, exactly. I come from the
    > Windows/DOS world. Have mercy.
    >

    > Mount the root partition on /mnt, along with any other Linux partition
    > created before. Copy all the Live CD contents (except /proc, /initrd and
    > /mnt) into /mnt. Create the /mnt/proc directory and chroot to /mnt.
    > Mount the /proc virtual filesystem. Now you should be able to do pretty
    > much anything needed to set up Linux. You may want to recompile the
    > kernel, since the one from the Live CD may not include support for the
    > root filesystem (e.g. ReiserFS).
    >
    > Install LILO (apt-get install lilo) without guided configuration
    > creation and bootloader installation. Create a /etc/lilo.conf by hand
    > with the following contents:
    >
    > append="noapic"
    >
    > boot=/dev/sda
    > root=/dev/sda4
    >
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > label=Linux
    > read-write
    >
    > Quit the chroot'ed shell and unmount the disk partition from /mnt. Type
    > reboot to reboot. Hold the touchpad button on startup to eject the Live
    > CD. The rEFIt menu should offer a choice between booting MacOS X and
    > Linux. Before continuing select the partition tool entry to create a
    > mirrored set of MBR partitions based on your GPT partitions. Once this
    > is done select Linux and boot into the newly installed distribution.

+ Reply to Thread