Help: Linux disappears after WinXP installs - Redhat

This is a discussion on Help: Linux disappears after WinXP installs - Redhat ; I have problem with my linux. I partitioned my laptop into linux Window, and shared (for both Linux and Window). My winXP crashed because of virus. Just after I reinstalled it, Linux disappeared. When I open my computer it goes ...

  1. Help: Linux disappears after WinXP installs

    I have problem with my linux. I partitioned my laptop into linux
    Window, and shared (for both Linux and Window). My winXP crashed
    because of virus. Just after I reinstalled it, Linux disappeared. When
    I open my computer it goes straight to WInXP (before it was giving me
    options to choose either from WInXP or Linux). I am sure I didn't delet
    it.

    I have all the CDs that I used for the installation. What should I do
    to recover the Linux? Help.

    Wondesen

  2. Re: Help: Linux disappears after WinXP installs

    wondtassew@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have problem with my linux. I partitioned my laptop into linux
    > Window, and shared (for both Linux and Window). My winXP crashed
    > because of virus. Just after I reinstalled it, Linux disappeared. When
    > I open my computer it goes straight to WInXP (before it was giving me
    > options to choose either from WInXP or Linux). I am sure I didn't delet
    > it.
    >
    > I have all the CDs that I used for the installation. What should I do
    > to recover the Linux? Help.
    >
    > Wondesen

    Wondesen,

    Which Linux distro are you talking about?

    If a Fedora or Red Hat, put in disc 1 and run rescue mode and see if it
    recognises your Linux installation. If so ask it to rebuild your MBR.

    Success. I am told it should work, but did not have a chance to test it.
    Do not have a dual boot environment.

    I think SuSe distro's have a possibility to do this too.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: Help: Linux disappears after WinXP installs

    For recent Fedora distributions, you boot the rescue CD ROM. It should
    find your Linux distribution and mount it. Then you cd to the
    directory where it is mounted, chroot to that mount point, and then
    do grub-install with an argument of /dev/hda or whatever your root
    disk is. That will reinstall grub as the boot loader and it will
    then find your original grub.conf file that lets you boot from either
    Linux or Windows.

    I don't know the ritual for other Linux distributions, nor for those
    using LILO instead of grub, but it should be something similar. I
    guess for some distributions rescue mode is an option on the install CD.
    --

    jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

+ Reply to Thread