Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac - Redhat ; I repartitioned the HDD on my Mac Mini (Intel DuoCore) and downloaed Fedora Core 6. What do I need to put on a DVD to make it bootable for the Mac? I tried using the contents of the "Images" folder ...

  1. Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac

    I repartitioned the HDD on my Mac Mini (Intel DuoCore) and downloaed Fedora
    Core 6. What do I need to put on a DVD to make it bootable for the Mac? I
    tried using the contents of the "Images" folder only because I saw a
    boot.iso file there.

    Total newbie flying blind and just need a push in the right direction.

    Thanks,
    JM

  2. Re: Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac

    Joe Murphy wrote:

    > I repartitioned the HDD on my Mac Mini (Intel DuoCore) and downloaed
    > Fedora Core 6. What do I need to put on a DVD to make it bootable for
    > the Mac?

    Download the DVD .iso image, and burn it using a program that can create
    disks from .iso image files. The resulting DVD should have several
    files and subdirectories on it, not a copy of the .iso file.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  3. Re: Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac

    Joe Murphy wrote:
    > I repartitioned the HDD on my Mac Mini (Intel DuoCore) and downloaed Fedora
    > Core 6. What do I need to put on a DVD to make it bootable for the Mac? I
    > tried using the contents of the "Images" folder only because I saw a
    > boot.iso file there.

    > Total newbie flying blind and just need a push in the right direction.

    I don't know from Macs.

    On PCs one sets the BIOS to that when you turn it on it boots from the DVD/CD
    and the disk takes it from there.

    Hint: When given the option of what kind of installation to make such as work
    station or server choose the option custom. Go to the end of that list and
    choose install everything. It is trivially more disk space. But you will not be
    reading about things which are on the disk that were not installed. That will
    result in less frustration in the beginning.

    --
    The official explanation for 911 fails to explain the war on Iraq so there
    has to be more to it than the official story.

  4. Re: Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac

    That worked. It took a few tries to get the Mac to boot to the DVD, but I
    did install Fedora.

    My only problem now is that I don't know how to get it to boot into Linux.
    It keeps booting into OS X. Any idea how to change the operating system on
    boot?

    Thanks,
    JM

    "Markku Kolkka" wrote in message
    > Joe Murphy wrote:
    >
    >> I repartitioned the HDD on my Mac Mini (Intel DuoCore) and downloaed
    >> Fedora Core 6. What do I need to put on a DVD to make it bootable for
    >> the Mac?

    > Download the DVD .iso image, and burn it using a program that can create
    > disks from .iso image files. The resulting DVD should have several
    > files and subdirectories on it, not a copy of the .iso file.
    >
    > --
    > Markku Kolkka
    > markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  5. Re: Installing Fedora Core 6 on Duo Core Mac

    In article ,
    "Joe Murphy" wrote:

    > That worked. It took a few tries to get the Mac to boot to the DVD, but I
    > did install Fedora.
    >
    > My only problem now is that I don't know how to get it to boot into Linux.
    > It keeps booting into OS X. Any idea how to change the operating system on
    > boot?

    Take a look at these virtualization products:

    http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

    http://www.parallels.com/

    If you are installing onto a Mac with Intel processors, there is a
    minimal performance hit, and the convenience of instant switching
    between Linux, OS X, and (if needed) Windows, is a major advantage.
    Most of the geeks I know are recommending VMWare Fusion. It has been
    tested on Red Hat and several other Linux flavors, and a lot of people
    are successfully running them.

    I have seen reports that it is possible to boot Linux using Apple's Boot
    Camp, which allows direct booting into a non-Mac OS. But Boot Camp was
    primarily designed to run Windows on Mac, so this approach is riskier,
    and probably not supported by anyone.

    http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

    http://www.helium.com/items/421906-w...tion-releasing

    There may be other schemes for configuring a Mac to direct boot into
    Linux, but I am a Linux noob, and cannot advise on that.

    --
    Julian Vrieslander

+ Reply to Thread