Installing Redhat 9 on Dell Precision 670 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installing Redhat 9 on Dell Precision 670 - Redhat ; I am trying to install Redhat 9 on a Dell Precision 670 with AIC-7901 scsi controller. Linux complains that it cannot find any harddrives. I tried the included driver and installing via "linux dd" but none of the .img files ...

  1. Installing Redhat 9 on Dell Precision 670

    I am trying to install Redhat 9 on a Dell Precision 670 with AIC-7901
    scsi controller. Linux complains that it cannot find any harddrives.

    I tried the included driver and installing via "linux dd" but none of
    the .img files here work:
    http://ftp1.us.dell.com/scsi-non-raid/
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...us.i686.tar.gz

    Raid is not needed. Any help would be appreciated. Tell me if I need
    to post more info. Thanks.

  2. Re: Installing Redhat 9 on Dell Precision 670

    hpj_ee@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am trying to install Redhat 9 on a Dell Precision 670 with AIC-7901
    > scsi controller. Linux complains that it cannot find any harddrives.
    >
    > I tried the included driver and installing via "linux dd" but none of
    > the .img files here work:
    > http://ftp1.us.dell.com/scsi-non-raid/
    > http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...us.i686.tar.gz
    >
    > Raid is not needed. Any help would be appreciated. Tell me if I need
    > to post more info. Thanks.

    the .img files i saw were not for RH9

    and the avail files that *might* work were *not* .img files

    they were tar.gz which you'd have to gunzip and untar first

    BTW: RH9 is now obsolete...why not go with a current distro

  3. Re: Installing Redhat 9 on Dell Precision 670

    The img files I tried are not the ones in the top level directory.
    They are in tar files preceeded by "aic" Sorry for the confusion.
    Which files do you recommend I try? I agree with you on RH9 but
    customer wants. I emailed them in parallel to my original post and am
    awaiting a response as to why they insist on RH9. Thanks.

  4. Re: Installing Redhat 9 on Dell Precision 670

    hpj_ee@yahoo.com wrote:
    > The img files I tried are not the ones in the top level directory.
    > They are in tar files preceeded by "aic" Sorry for the confusion.
    > Which files do you recommend I try? I agree with you on RH9 but
    > customer wants. I emailed them in parallel to my original post and am
    > awaiting a response as to why they insist on RH9. Thanks.

    put this into a google search:

    AIC7901_RH90_SCSI.TAR.GZ

    it should give you the driver you need

+ Reply to Thread