    Try passing init= option to kernel.

    Anybody?

  2. Re: "label / not found" on boot following FC2-to-FC4 upgrade

    On 2006-04-12, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I'm upgrading a PC from FC2 to FC4.
    > Upgrade runs successfully, but on boot I'm seeing this:
    > mkrootdev: label / not found
    > mount: error 2 mounting ext3
    > pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
    > umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
    > Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.
    > Try passing init= option to kernel.
    >
    > Anybody?

    You can use the Fedora disk in rescue more or Knoppix or something
    to check ... what is in /etc/fstab?

    I suspect something like:
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    for the root partition.

    That is not necessary - it could have listed the boot partition
    as a physical device, say, /dev/hdb1, instead of LABEL=/.
    Label's are nice if you change things (add a new partition or
    a new hard drive ... in Windows suddenly drive D: is not what
    it used to be and nothing can be found - the same with Linux
    if you have SCSI disks and add a new one or whatever).

    What is your boot partition?
    You chould just change "LABEL=/" to the actual physical device
    (assuming you don't make changes - but if you add a new hard
    disk, suddenly things may not boot! until you change fstab).

    The system programme e2label (/sbin/e2label) allows you to
    see what label an ext2 (or ext3) partition has
    e2label /dev/hdb1
    or whatever ...
    and to give the paritition a label
    e2label /dev/hdb1 "/"

    I have FC2 and my root partition is "labelled". I wonder why
    the label has changed with FC4. However, if that is the only
    problem, it is easily fixed. Either label the partition and
    have a matching "LABEL" entry in fstab or specify a physical
    device.

  3. Re: "label / not found" on boot following FC2-to-FC4 upgrade

    On 13 Apr 2006 04:39:39 GMT, Spamless wrote:

    > I have FC2 and my root partition is "labelled". I wonder why
    > the label has changed with FC4. However, if that is the only
    > problem, it is easily fixed. Either label the partition and
    > have a matching "LABEL" entry in fstab or specify a physical
    > device.

    Also, you _might_ need to make the bootloader aware of the change.

  4. Re: "label / not found" on boot following FC2-to-FC4 upgrade

    I tried changing the label to "/" via e2label and tune2fs, but it
    doesn't "take"
    (insists on remaining "/boot").

    I also mounted root and tried modifying grub.conf & rebooting, but same
    result.

    How would I make the bootloader aware of the change?

    THANKS.

  5. Re: "label / not found" on boot following FC2-to-FC4 upgrade

    On 13 Apr 2006 10:36:44 -0700, Richard Vaughn wrote:

    You might want to consider leaving the person's name when snipping.
    It helps everyone to know to whom you are replying.

    > I tried changing the label to "/" via e2label and tune2fs, but it
    > doesn't "take"
    > (insists on remaining "/boot").

    I run a multiboot setup and I am posting from my Mandriva Linux 2006 OS.

    Hmmm, that is odd. Snippet from cfdisk /dev/hdb

    Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
    hdb1 Boot Primary Linux swap / Solaris 1069.29
    hdb5 Logical Linux ext3 [/site] 863.66
    hdb6 Logical Linux ext3 [/2006oe] 6851.66
    hdb7 Logical Linux ext3 [/accounts] 7254.70
    hdb8 Logical Linux ext3 [/opt] 23359.80
    hdb9 Logical Linux ext3 [/free_9b] 6588.45
    hdb10 Logical Linux ext3 [/free_10b] 6703.61
    hdb11 Logical Linux ext3 [/ubuntu] 7139.55
    hdb12 Logical Linux ext3 [/2006] 9302.80
    hdb13 Logical Linux ext3 [/fc5] 7221.80
    Pri/Log Free Space 43676.24

    > I also mounted root and tried modifying grub.conf & rebooting, but same
    > result.
    >
    > How would I make the bootloader aware of the change?

    If lilo is the bootloader, you modify /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo -v
    If bootloader is grub you modify menu.lst

    Example of my changes for changing / to /fc5 for the FC5 install.

    Snippet from /fc5/boot/grub/menu.lst

    title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)
    root (hd1,12)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/fc5 rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img

    # head -2 /fc5/etc/fstab
    LABEL=/fc5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/2006 /2006 ext3 defaults 1 2

  6. Re: "label / not found" on boot following FC2-to-FC4 upgrade

    On 2006-04-13, Richard Vaughn wrote:
    > I tried changing the label to "/" via e2label and tune2fs, but it
    > doesn't "take"
    > (insists on remaining "/boot").

    That is probably a different partition.
    Are you using the same partition for booting and as root?

    Usually one has one partition (the boot partition with the
    kernel images) to start the kernel which then loads the root
    ("/") partition.

+ Reply to Thread