Building a new boot.iso for RHEL4 installer - Redhat

This is a discussion on Building a new boot.iso for RHEL4 installer - Redhat ; Please could somebody point me in the correct direction on how to create a new customized boot.iso with a patched kernel for RHEL4 installations. I have the old APIC problem with the SMP system and a mylex controller, trying to ...

  1. Building a new boot.iso for RHEL4 installer

    Please could somebody point me in the correct direction on how to
    create a new customized boot.iso with a patched kernel for RHEL4
    installations. I have the old APIC problem with the SMP system and a
    mylex controller, trying to install using the standard installer CD.
    This is the one where it hangs during the load of the dac960 module.

    I know what to patch in the kernel config file but I don't know how to
    a) create a suitable kernel for the installer boot.iso vmlinuz image
    and b) how to create the correct format/layout for the initrd within
    the isolinux directory of the boot.iso. This includes how to get the
    correct modules to be included in the initrd.

    Any and all help would be appreciated. All other avanues have failed,
    including trying to force it with "linux apic" at boot time.

    Thanks,
    Kelvin.

  2. Re: Building a new boot.iso for RHEL4 installer

    kelvin.hill@gmail.com wrote:
    > Please could somebody point me in the correct direction on how to
    > create a new customized boot.iso with a patched kernel for RHEL4
    > installations. I have the old APIC problem with the SMP system and a
    > mylex controller, trying to install using the standard installer CD.
    > This is the one where it hangs during the load of the dac960 module.

    > I know what to patch in the kernel config file but I don't know how to
    > a) create a suitable kernel for the installer boot.iso vmlinuz image
    > and b) how to create the correct format/layout for the initrd within
    > the isolinux directory of the boot.iso. This includes how to get the
    > correct modules to be included in the initrd.

    > Any and all help would be appreciated. All other avanues have failed,
    > including trying to force it with "linux apic" at boot time.

    I'm not sure just what you are after here but if it is figuring out the man
    page, if I remember correctly this worked.

    mkbootdisk --iso --device /path/filename kernal.number

    mkbootdisk --iso --device /root/boot.iso 2.6.10-12

    --
    If Irsrael had no involvement in the Iraq war why did Americans impose an
    Israeli style parliament on Iraq?

+ Reply to Thread