Re: FC4 -> FC5 yum upgrade : failed dependencies i don't know how to resolve - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: FC4 -> FC5 yum upgrade : failed dependencies i don't know how to resolve - Redhat ; On 2006-03-26, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Matth=E4us_Banach?= wrote: > > I think, I can resolve most of those dependencies, but I do not know how > to resolve these two lines out of this: > >> Error: Missing Dependency: xorg-x11 is needed by package ...

  1. Re: FC4 -> FC5 yum upgrade : failed dependencies i don't know how to resolve

    On 2006-03-26, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Matth=E4us_Banach?= wrote:

    > I think, I can resolve most of those dependencies, but I do not know how
    > to resolve these two lines out of this:
    >
    >> Error: Missing Dependency: xorg-x11 is needed by package glitz
    >> Error: Missing Dependency: xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL is needed by package glitz

    > Does anyone of you have an idea how to resolve that dependency without
    > uninstalling all of the X11 software? (an yum remove xorg* would
    > uninstall all of my x11 soft because they are dependent on these packages).

    If you remove xorg (manually) and leave the software and install the
    newly packaged new version of Xorg, you will get a lot of error
    messages (from the old programmes which don't recognize the new
    packaging) but things should work.

    That is a problem. The new version of xorg, version 7, is packaged
    differently. In FC5 there are many, many little packages instead of one big
    package as there is in FC4. You could just rip out the xorg 6.x you have and
    install the new ones. If you don't want to do that, make SURE that is the
    ONLY dependency problem. Then just use "--nodeps" (if you are using rpm, say
    "rpm --nodeps some.rpm" where some.rpm will have the necessary files but
    will think they are missing). You will continue to have this "error" message
    as you later upgrade packages which rely on X and which expect the many
    package names in the packaging used in FC5 instead of the simpler packaging
    in FC4.

    You probably have xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL (FC5) when you installed (xorg) in FC4
    but in FC4 that package name wasn't used and the package names, not the
    actual programmes, are what are checked. If you are *sure* you have the
    right (or working) versions, use "nodeps" but if the versions are
    incompatible or you want to avoid the error messages you will have to rip
    out Xorg (ignoring all the warnings about what you are "breaking") and
    install it again using the new packages which FC5 likes. Heck, at one time I
    found some source RPMs for XFree and on my FC2 had, for awhile, trying to
    track down a bug, XFree instead of Xorg (ripped out one, installed the other
    and did not worry about all the "error" messages for I knew I was installing
    compatible libraries - though I did manage now to break gimp in upgrading
    gtk, but as I never use gimp (or KDE) but do want the updated gtk for a few
    things which need it, that's OK ...).

  2. Re: FC4 -> FC5 yum upgrade : failed dependencies i don't know howto resolve

    Hi,

    thank you for your answer. I think, I'll start the upgrade-process by
    saving all of the contents of my drive into a backup first and then I
    will try what you suggested.

    Have a nice day,

    Matthäus

    Spamless wrote:

    > If you remove xorg (manually) and leave the software and install the
    > newly packaged new version of Xorg, you will get a lot of error
    > messages (from the old programmes which don't recognize the new
    > packaging) but things should work. [etc. ...]

  3. Success: FC4 -> FC5 yum upgrade

    Hi,

    just wanted to tell you, that my upgrade worked. I manually resolved
    dependencies aa far as I could, and then used the --nodeps switch of rpm
    to intentionally break the remaining dependencies I could not resolve.
    As expected, these dependencies were resotred during the upgrade.

    Every bit of FC5 runs like a charm now.

    Thank you for the tip.

    Matthäus

  4. Re: Success: FC4 -> FC5 yum upgrade

    On 2006-03-27, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Matth=E4us_Banach?= wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > just wanted to tell you, that my upgrade worked. I manually resolved
    > dependencies aa far as I could, and then used the --nodeps switch of rpm
    > to intentionally break the remaining dependencies I could not resolve.
    > As expected, these dependencies were resotred during the upgrade.
    >
    > Every bit of FC5 runs like a charm now.

    Also ... if you have an RPM A.rpm which depends on B.rpm which depends
    on A.rpm! you can force A and then install B. If you do both at once,
    rpm -Uvh A.rpm B.rpm
    rpm will handle it.
    For xorg, however, the new distribution (7.x) will not update the old
    (6.x) (the package names are different) so trying to remove 6.x it would
    get complaints about everything which depends on the same libraries but
    installed under a different package name.
    rpm -Uvh (xorg7packages)
    should overwrite the old files but leave in the RPM database the old
    package names and add the new ones. Of course doing that will get a
    ton of messages that the new libraries are in conflict with (will replace)
    the old libraries and RPM does not know that this is an update of the
    files due to the new package name.

    It is for times like this that the "--force" and "--nodeps" switches
    are useful.

    As for me, I am still on FC2!

  5. Re: Success: FC4 -> FC5 yum upgrade

    Hi,

    > Also ... if you have an RPM A.rpm which depends on B.rpm which depends
    > on A.rpm! you can force A and then install B.

    That is what I experienced with some packages and why I used the
    commandline-switches --force and --nodeps.

    > It is for times like this that the "--force" and "--nodeps" switches
    > are useful.

    Agreed.

    > As for me, I am still on FC2!

    My webserver is on FC3 as well, and I have no reason to update it. In
    cases like that it's more important to me to have a stable and reliable
    system, than to have an always up-to-date system, as it is with my notebook.

    Thanks again for your hint, although it took me some time, I am very
    happy I managed to update my system.

    Greetings from Germany,

    Matthäus

  6. Re: Success: FC4 -> FC5 yum upgrade

    This may not be the correct solution, but I would have thought that
    FC5 should handle the upgrade issues if Im understanding this problem
    correctly? Anytime I have to be sure I do something correctly "or
    else"
    just to upgrade an OS seems to me to be not such a reliable solution.
    It reminds me of Microsoft upgrades and issues with that years ago.

    I just updated from FC4 to FC5 yesterday and have a ton of dependency
    issues as well, the most serious issues (for me) deal with the
    X11/XFree
    packages since I develop in QT and it relies on those being correct.

    If FC5 cant put a script or two in the upgrade to fix this for me
    automatically
    Ill stick to FC4 until FC6 comes along.

+ Reply to Thread