FC5 upgrade problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC5 upgrade problem - Redhat ; Hi, I just tried to upgrade from FC4 to FC5, but after pressing either or at the initial bootscreen showing the new F logo, my screen goes black. Any idea? BTW, So far, upgrading from RH 8 ..0 up to ...

  1. FC5 upgrade problem

    Hi,

    I just tried to upgrade from FC4 to FC5, but after pressing either
    or at the initial bootscreen showing the new
    F logo, my screen goes black. Any idea? BTW, So far, upgrading from RH 8
    ..0 up to FC4 have gone ok.

    Hardware: AMD AthlonXP 2400+, 500 MB RAM, GeForce2 MX400 video.

    Thanks for any help,

    Huub

  2. Re: FC5 upgrade problem

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway typed:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just tried to upgrade from FC4 to FC5, but after pressing either
    > or at the initial bootscreen showing the new
    > F logo, my screen goes black. Any idea? BTW, So far, upgrading from RH 8
    > .0 up to FC4 have gone ok.

    I've seen similar things often. Today I installed FC4 on a PC at work
    and the display was completely messed up when done; basically it looked
    like a TV that had lost the horiz hold. I then re-installed with FC3 and
    it was perfect. Go figure! The newer release doesn't appear to detect
    whatever video card the box has; I didn't bother opening it up for a look
    I'll just stick with FC3 on it.

    As to your problem, you might like to do a text install, boot to runlevel 3
    when done (carefull here 'cus I think a text install defaults to runlevel 5
    which I think is silly) and then sort out your xorg.conf

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)

  3. Re: FC5 upgrade problem

    > As to your problem, you might like to do a text install, boot to runlevel 3
    > when done (carefull here 'cus I think a text install defaults to runlevel 5
    > which I think is silly) and then sort out your xorg.conf

    Here's a problem: no matter what type of install I do (noprobe, text,
    resolution, ....), after the screen shows a very short flicker
    and goes black. The machine clearly doesn't freeze, but I just get a
    black screen.

+ Reply to Thread