Installing GRUB or not - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installing GRUB or not - Redhat ; Hi, During install of Fedora 5 one is given the option not to install the GRUB boot loader.If the user chose to do so, how would he then go about to boot linux?(Dual boot) Thanks for your attention! -- Dankert...

  1. Installing GRUB or not

    --
    Dankert

  2. Re: Installing GRUB or not

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:23:34 +0100, Dankert wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > During install of Fedora 5 one is given the option not to install the GRUB
    > boot loader.If the user chose to do so, how would he then go about to boot
    > linux?(Dual boot)

    When you install grub, say into the MBR, it will boot the default OS
    you set during grub setup.

    Now when you want to pick an OS, just hit Esc (escape key) and arrow
    up/down to pick whatever OSs you told grub about.
    Then hit carriage return key.

  3. Re: Installing GRUB or not

    "Bit Twister" skrev i melding
    > On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:23:34 +0100, Dankert wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> During install of Fedora 5 one is given the option not to install the
    >> GRUB
    >> boot loader.If the user chose to do so, how would he then go about to
    >> boot
    >> linux?(Dual boot)

    > When you install grub, say into the MBR, it will boot the default OS
    > you set during grub setup.
    >
    > Now when you want to pick an OS, just hit Esc (escape key) and arrow
    > up/down to pick whatever OSs you told grub about.
    > Then hit carriage return key.

    Okay, maybe it's my bad english that has caused some confusion.The question
    was how to boot into the linux OS if the user choose NOT to install GRUB
    during the installation process?I have my reason not to install GRUB, and
    can'tt see why this option is available during installation if there is no
    way to boot otherwise.
    --
    Dankert

  4. Re: Installing GRUB or not

    Hi,

    > Okay, maybe it's my bad english that has caused some confusion.The question
    > was how to boot into the linux OS if the user choose NOT to install GRUB
    > during the installation process?

    I didn't try this myself, but have a look at mkbootdisk. If I understand
    the purpose of the tool correctly, you can create a bootable disk with
    it which can boot your linux operating system without the need of
    installing GRUB into the MBR.

    Hope I could help,

    Matthäus Banach

  5. Re: Installing GRUB or not

    Dankert wrote:
    > "Bit Twister" skrev i melding
    >
    >>On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:23:34 +0100, Dankert wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>During install of Fedora 5 one is given the option not to install the
    >>>GRUB
    >>>boot loader.If the user chose to do so, how would he then go about to
    >>>boot
    >>>linux?(Dual boot)

    >>When you install grub, say into the MBR, it will boot the default OS
    >>you set during grub setup.
    >>
    >>Now when you want to pick an OS, just hit Esc (escape key) and arrow
    >>up/down to pick whatever OSs you told grub about.
    >>Then hit carriage return key.

    > Okay, maybe it's my bad english that has caused some confusion.The question
    > was how to boot into the linux OS if the user choose NOT to install GRUB
    > during the installation process?I have my reason not to install GRUB, and
    > can'tt see why this option is available during installation if there is no
    > way to boot otherwise.
    > --
    > Dankert

    Suppose you had many different Linux (and other) installations
    on your PC and had previously done a grub "menu.lst" file to access all
    of them. Then when you add another installation (say) it is far easier
    to leave GRUB unaltered as it was and, later, to edit your GRUB menu.lst
    to enable access to your new installation. There is no need to do a
    "grub-install" command afterwards - just adding an entry into the
    "menu.lst" is sufficient.

    Hope this helps,
    WABE

  6. Re: Installing GRUB or not

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:03:11 +0100, "W.A.B.Evans"
    wrote:

    >Dankert wrote:
    >> "Bit Twister" skrev i melding

    >>>When you install grub, say into the MBR, it will boot the default OS
    >>>you set during grub setup.
    >>>
    >>>Now when you want to pick an OS, just hit Esc (escape key) and arrow
    >>>up/down to pick whatever OSs you told grub about.
    >>>Then hit carriage return key.

    >> Okay, maybe it's my bad english that has caused some confusion.The question
    >> was how to boot into the linux OS if the user choose NOT to install GRUB
    >> during the installation process?I have my reason not to install GRUB, and
    >> can'tt see why this option is available during installation if there is no
    >> way to boot otherwise.
    >> --
    >> Dankert
    >>

    > Suppose you had many different Linux (and other) installations
    >on your PC and had previously done a grub "menu.lst" file to access all
    >of them. Then when you add another installation (say) it is far easier
    >to leave GRUB unaltered as it was and, later, to edit your GRUB menu.lst
    >to enable access to your new installation. There is no need to do a
    >"grub-install" command afterwards - just adding an entry into the
    >"menu.lst" is sufficient.
    >
    >Hope this helps,
    >WABE

    I missed the original message in this thread, but the
    options on the FC5 Grub installation menu are not worded
    correctly.

    I was adding FC5 on its own hard drive to a system that had
    Windows 2000 on /dev/ hda. I did not want Grub to overwrite
    the MBR of /dev/hda. The options presented were install
    Grub on the MBR on /dev/hda or not install it at all. I
    chose :not install" the first time and then could not boot.
    The second time around I choose "Install to the MBR of
    /dev/hda" after checking the "Advanced Boot Options" box.
    (And then held my breath.) On the next screen I could then
    choose to install Grub to EITHER the MBR of /dev/hda of the
    boot sector of my FC5 installation, which was on /dev/hdb.
    It sure would have been nice if the first menu indicated
    that installing Grub on the MBR of /dev/hda was not the only
    option!

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.