Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! - Redhat

This is a discussion on Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! - Redhat ; I am trying to install Fedora Core 4 on a brand new system. M/B is Intel 915GEVLK, processor is Intel P4 3.0 ghz. Hard drives are SATA, however, I am not using the controller on the motherboard. I am using ...

  1. Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

    I am trying to install Fedora Core 4 on a brand new system. M/B is
    Intel 915GEVLK, processor is Intel P4 3.0 ghz. Hard drives are SATA,
    however, I am not using the controller on the motherboard. I am using
    a 3ware 8506 RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD card with 2 WD 80 GB SATA drives setup
    for RAID 1.

    Linux install will boot, and give me the 'boot' prompt. I hit enter,
    and it begins the install process. Once the vmlinuz... and the next
    line has completed (don't remember exactly what it says on this line),
    the screen goes blank, then the message that linux is decompressing to
    the RAM drive flashes for an instant, then the kernel panics.

    If some descriptions aren't totally acurate, I apologize. I am not new
    to Linux by any means, but then I am not a total expert, having to
    divide my time at work between running my *cough* Windows network, and
    my (unfortunately) 2 Linux servers. Also, I have shut the machines
    down for the night, and am giving up on this for tonight. I'll look
    some more in the morning.

    Thanks in advance for any help or hints provided. Please post to the
    group. Thanks!

    James W. Lytle
    IS Director

  2. Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

    Additional info:
    The second line after the vmlinuz that I couldn't remember is the
    initrd. It appears to make it all the way through both of these.

    Also, Mandrake 10.1 loads perfectly. Problem is, there is some
    software that I need to run that has a requirement of Redhat. Haven't
    gotten the software yet, so don't know if it will run under other
    distro's. Don't see why not, but then again, there may be something
    funny about it that checks to see if the distro is Redhat.

    Thanks!!

    n3tctrl wrote:
    > I am trying to install Fedora Core 4 on a brand new system. M/B is
    > Intel 915GEVLK, processor is Intel P4 3.0 ghz. Hard drives are SATA,
    > however, I am not using the controller on the motherboard. I am using
    > a 3ware 8506 RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD card with 2 WD 80 GB SATA drives setup
    > for RAID 1.
    >
    > Linux install will boot, and give me the 'boot' prompt. I hit enter,
    > and it begins the install process. Once the vmlinuz... and the next
    > line has completed (don't remember exactly what it says on this line),
    > the screen goes blank, then the message that linux is decompressing to
    > the RAM drive flashes for an instant, then the kernel panics.
    >
    > If some descriptions aren't totally acurate, I apologize. I am not new
    > to Linux by any means, but then I am not a total expert, having to
    > divide my time at work between running my *cough* Windows network, and
    > my (unfortunately) 2 Linux servers. Also, I have shut the machines
    > down for the night, and am giving up on this for tonight. I'll look
    > some more in the morning.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help or hints provided. Please post to the
    > group. Thanks!
    >
    > James W. Lytle
    > IS Director

  3. Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

    More additional info:
    Located a computer with everything but the 3Ware card, and the
    kernel also paniced on it, although it was a different panic message.
    It specified that it could not write to the RAM disk, which leads me to
    think it may be something to do with the 915 motherboard or the DDR2
    533 memory.

    Again, any help or pointers on how to proceed is greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!!
    James

  4. Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

    n3tctrl wrote:

    > I am trying to install Fedora Core 4 on a brand new system. M/B is
    > Intel 915GEVLK, processor is Intel P4 3.0 ghz. Hard drives are SATA,
    > however, I am not using the controller on the motherboard. I am using
    > a 3ware 8506 RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD card with 2 WD 80 GB SATA drives setup
    > for RAID 1.

    See; https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=159026
    Try; http://people.redhat.com/pjones/i915/booti915.iso

  5. Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

    Well, the "strange" workaround in the bugzilla post seemed to do the
    trick. Just for kicks, I think I'll try the .iso image you referred to
    just to see how that goes.

    Thanks for your help!!!!
    James

+ Reply to Thread