RPM install problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on RPM install problem - Redhat ; I am trying to learn how to install rpm's and have run into the following notation about a failed dependency which I do not understand. arts >= 8:1.4.1 is needed by kde-3.4.1-1.0 I would appreciate someone explaining the syntax >= ...

  1. RPM install problem

    I am trying to learn how to install rpm's and have run into the following
    notation about a failed dependency which I do not understand.
    arts >= 8:1.4.1 is needed by kde-3.4.1-1.0

    I would appreciate someone explaining the syntax
    >= 8:1.4.1

    Thanks,
    Shel Sherman

  2. Re: RPM install problem

    Shel Sherman wrote:

    > I am trying to learn how to install rpm's and have run into the
    > following notation about a failed dependency which I do not
    > understand. arts >= 8:1.4.1 is needed by kde-3.4.1-1.0
    >
    > I would appreciate someone explaining the syntax
    >>= 8:1.4.1

    You need to have or to be installing a version (at the same time) of the
    arts rpm that is equal to or greater then 1.4.1 for example;

    $ rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n'
    'arts*' | sort
    arts-1.4.1-2.i386.rpm
    arts-devel-1.4.1-2.i386.rpm

    Watch out for word wrap on the rpm command above, put a space after
    the .rpm/n' and before the rest of the command (the second line).

    # rpm -Uvh arts*.rpm kde*.rpm

  3. Re: RPM install problem

    That was dumb of me. So >= simply means "greater or equal" to the version
    number,etc. I am still not clear what the 8: term means. I would appreciate
    a clarification on that part of the syntax.
    Thanks again,
    Shel
    "Lenard" wrote in message
    news:%HFue.3289$Y75.1544@newssvr17.news.prodigy.co m...
    > Shel Sherman wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to learn how to install rpm's and have run into the
    >> following notation about a failed dependency which I do not
    >> understand. arts >= 8:1.4.1 is needed by kde-3.4.1-1.0
    >>
    >> I would appreciate someone explaining the syntax
    >>>= 8:1.4.1

    > You need to have or to be installing a version (at the same time) of the
    > arts rpm that is equal to or greater then 1.4.1 for example;
    >
    > $ rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n'
    > 'arts*' | sort
    > arts-1.4.1-2.i386.rpm
    > arts-devel-1.4.1-2.i386.rpm
    >
    > Watch out for word wrap on the rpm command above, put a space after
    > the .rpm/n' and before the rest of the command (the second line).
    >
    > # rpm -Uvh arts*.rpm kde*.rpm
    >

    > --
    > safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- B. Franklin, 1759

+ Reply to Thread