FC4 problems, apps and modules don't compile - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC4 problems, apps and modules don't compile - Redhat ; Hi, not sure where i am in the bell curve, but: I just installed FC4, and am greatly disappointed: Apps that compiled nicely on FC3 (example: xawtv-3.94) fail Similarly, modules which compiled and installed seamlessly on FC3 cause weird version ...

  1. FC4 problems, apps and modules don't compile

    Hi, not sure where i am in the bell curve, but:

    I just installed FC4, and am greatly disappointed:

    Apps that compiled nicely on FC3 (example: xawtv-3.94) fail

    Similarly, modules which compiled and installed seamlessly on FC3 cause
    weird version mismatches on the new system (version magic stuff).

    Also, FWIW, both FC3 and FC4 refuse to boot in SMP when ACPI is turned
    on in the bios, so I either keep power management or sacrifice it for
    SMP - quite annoying (A VIA board, unfortunately)

    would appreciate any clues, but at this point, i am really inclined to
    revert to FC3

    andrew

  2. Re: FC4 problems, apps and modules don't compile

    Hello, all

    I don't have a whole lot of new info, but i'd like to add:

    FC4 release notes ( http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/ )
    suggest some radical system changes, such as complete phaseout of the
    LinuxThreads library, and changes in the included new gcc 4.0 compiler.
    I do not know c, but the few gcc-related specifics in the release
    notes appear to be related to my compilation troubles (namely, i
    remember compile Errors with references to "lvalues")

    My request to the gurus out there:

    Could anyone please elaborate on or "interpret" the FC4 release notes?
    What do the radical changes in the gcc, the removal linuxthreads, and
    other system changes imply about building binaries from ("old"?) code
    (what happened to "backwards-compatible"?)

    Would troubles such as I described in the previous post be eliminated
    by downgrading the gcc on my FC4 (down to, say, gcc-3.4.4)? Intuition
    suggests that this may not a viable solution, assuming one would soon
    need to deal with newer, gcc-4.0-compliant code...

    TIA

    andrew

  3. Re: FC4 problems, apps and modules don't compile

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:19:42 -0700, seawolf wrote:

    > Hello, all
    >
    > I don't have a whole lot of new info, but i'd like to add:
    >
    > FC4 release notes ( http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/ )
    > suggest some radical system changes, such as complete phaseout of the
    > LinuxThreads library, and changes in the included new gcc 4.0 compiler.
    > I do not know c, but the few gcc-related specifics in the release
    > notes appear to be related to my compilation troubles (namely, i
    > remember compile Errors with references to "lvalues")
    >
    > My request to the gurus out there:
    >
    > Could anyone please elaborate on or "interpret" the FC4 release notes?
    > What do the radical changes in the gcc, the removal linuxthreads, and
    > other system changes imply about building binaries from ("old"?) code
    > (what happened to "backwards-compatible"?)
    >
    > Would troubles such as I described in the previous post be eliminated
    > by downgrading the gcc on my FC4 (down to, say, gcc-3.4.4)? Intuition
    > suggests that this may not a viable solution, assuming one would soon
    > need to deal with newer, gcc-4.0-compliant code...
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > andrew

    Have a look at this:
    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mj...fc4.shtml#gcc3

    Quote:
    Some applications will NOT compile in GCC 4.0. You can install GCC 3.2
    to allow compiling applications which do not yet support GCC 4.0

    That may solve your problems.

    Ta

    Jos

  4. Re: FC4 problems, apps and modules don't compile

    Thanks for your reply

    three followup questions:

    1) The page you referred me to recommends to install GCC 3.2. Why not
    GCC 3.4? FC3 came with 3.4, and my sources compiled fine with it.

    2) Can multiple gcc versions coexist on the same system? probably a
    stupid question... but what i mean is - coexist /happily/, without too
    much (ongoing) tinkering with environment variables, etc

    3) In my initial post i mentioned trouble with module version mismatch.
    My dmesg reports something like:

    version magic ' SMP 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS `
    should be:
    ' SMP PENTIUMIII REGPARM 4KSTACKS `

    (note difference - "686" vs "PENTIUMIII")

    I can use the "-f" option to force modprobe to load them, in spite of
    bad version magic and "tainted kernel", but that sounds bad (am I
    wrong?)

    I assume the version magic problems are also consequence of the same
    gcc incompatibility discussed here. IOW - the fix above will take care
    of this, correct?

    thanks again
    andrew

  5. Re: FC4 problems, apps and modules don't compile

    seawolf@scssi.org wrote:
    > 1) The page you referred me to recommends to install GCC 3.2. Why not
    > GCC 3.4?

    Because FC4 includes GCC 3.2 in the compat-gcc-32 package. There's no
    "compat-gcc-34" available.

    > 2) Can multiple gcc versions coexist on the same system? probably a
    > stupid question... but what i mean is - coexist /happily/, without too
    > much (ongoing) tinkering with environment variables, etc

    Yes, if you use the Fedora packages. You invoke the old compiler as
    "gcc32".

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi