Installing FC4 over FC1 with forgotten password - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installing FC4 over FC1 with forgotten password - Redhat ; Hi, A bit of a problem here. I have a machine with FC1 on but the password is unknown. I want to install FC4 over it. It has GRUB and also a Windows partition which I would like to keep. ...

  1. Installing FC4 over FC1 with forgotten password

    Hi,

    A bit of a problem here. I have a machine with FC1 on but the password is
    unknown. I want to install FC4 over it. It has GRUB and also a Windows
    partition which I would like to keep.

    I have tried the FC rescue disk and am able to access FC1 as /mnt/sysimage.
    chroot produces a segmentation fault.

    Help,

    Aaron

  2. Re: Installing FC4 over FC1 with forgotten password

    > A bit of a problem here. I have a machine with FC1 on but the password is
    > unknown. I want to install FC4 over it. It has GRUB and also a Windows
    > partition which I would like to keep.
    >
    > I have tried the FC rescue disk and am able to access FC1 as
    > /mnt/sysimage. chroot produces a segmentation fault.

    Okay I have scrubbed the harddisk (including Windows) and am starting from
    scratch.

    Unfortunately my HP laptop does not boot from DVD so got to download and
    make up some CD's

    Aaron

  3. Re: Installing FC4 over FC1 with forgotten password

    Aaron Gray wrote:

    >> A bit of a problem here. I have a machine with FC1 on but the
    >> password is unknown. I want to install FC4 over it. It has GRUB and
    >> also a Windows partition which I would like to keep.
    >>
    >> I have tried the FC rescue disk and am able to access FC1 as
    >> /mnt/sysimage. chroot produces a segmentation fault.

    No need to boot with the rescue disk or in rescue more, just boot into
    runlevel 1 and fix the password problem, use google for the details.

    Hint; recover from lost password

    > Okay I have scrubbed the harddisk (including Windows) and am starting
    > from scratch.
    >
    > Unfortunately my HP laptop does not boot from DVD so got to download
    > and make up some CD's

    Why??? http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

    If your laptop does not boot from the DVD most likely it will not boot
    from the CD either. Depending on the laptop BIOS and/or the CD/DVD
    devices firmware boot from a non-floppy emulation type CD/DVD disc may
    not be possible.

  4. Re: Installing FC4 over FC1 with forgotten password

    >>> A bit of a problem here. I have a machine with FC1 on but the
    >>> password is unknown. I want to install FC4 over it. It has GRUB and
    >>> also a Windows partition which I would like to keep.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried the FC rescue disk and am able to access FC1 as
    >>> /mnt/sysimage. chroot produces a segmentation fault.

    > No need to boot with the rescue disk or in rescue more, just boot into
    > runlevel 1 and fix the password problem, use google for the details.
    >
    > Hint; recover from lost password

    I'll look into that just out of interest now

    >> Okay I have scrubbed the harddisk (including Windows) and am starting
    >> from scratch.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately my HP laptop does not boot from DVD so got to download
    >> and make up some CD's

    > Why??? http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

    No floppy drive !

    > If your laptop does not boot from the DVD most likely it will not boot
    > from the CD either. Depending on the laptop BIOS and/or the CD/DVD
    > devices firmware boot from a non-floppy emulation type CD/DVD disc may
    > not be possible.

    CD booted fine.

    I now have a FC4 HP ze4427 laptop, with no Windows

    Aaron

+ Reply to Thread