Fedora Core 3 on i686 Machine - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 3 on i686 Machine - Redhat ; Hi, I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine. Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686. Can I get a ready compiled i686 version of Fedora or do I have to install ...

  1. Fedora Core 3 on i686 Machine

    Hi,

    I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine.

    Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686.

    Can I get a ready compiled i686 version of Fedora or do I have to install
    the i386 version and then compile the thing from Source RPM's ?

    Is there any third party offering ready built i686 ISO's ?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Aaron

  2. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 Machine

    Aaron Gray wrote:
    > I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine.
    >
    > Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686.

    The Fedora i386 ISOs will install and run on Pentiums and later
    processors, including "i686". The compiled code is optimized for i686
    and there are i686-specific versions of glibc and kernel.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  3. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 Machine

    >> I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine.
    >>
    >> Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686.

    > The Fedora i386 ISOs will install and run on Pentiums and later
    > processors, including "i686". The compiled code is optimized for i686
    > and there are i686-specific versions of glibc and kernel.

    Okay, great.

    I ran FC1 and found it very slow so thought the i386 was to blame. Then I
    saw another release with i586 so presumed that was how it is. So I can use
    i386 release with i686 compiled kernel, libc and tools, and ++.

    Great, many thanks for the info.

    Aaron

  4. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 Machine

    In article <429e626e$0$9686$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
    Aaron Gray wrote:
    :>> I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine.
    :>>
    :>> Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686.
    :>
    :> The Fedora i386 ISOs will install and run on Pentiums and later
    :> processors, including "i686". The compiled code is optimized for i686
    :> and there are i686-specific versions of glibc and kernel.
    :
    :Okay, great.
    :
    :I ran FC1 and found it very slow so thought the i386 was to blame. Then I
    :saw another release with i586 so presumed that was how it is. So I can use
    :i386 release with i686 compiled kernel, libc and tools, and ++.

    Unless the slowness was due to FC-1 not taking advantage of some
    hardware feature (accelerated driver for the video card comes to mind)
    I doubt you'll find FC-3 or the soon-to-be-released FC-4 any faster.

    --
    Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

  5. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 Machine

    > Unless the slowness was due to FC-1 not taking advantage of some
    > hardware feature (accelerated driver for the video card comes to mind)
    > I doubt you'll find FC-3 or the soon-to-be-released FC-4 any faster.

    Right.

    Is it worth hanging on for FC4 ?

    DO you know when is it due to be released ?

    Aaron

  6. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 Machine

    In article <42a08095$0$15005$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
    Aaron Gray wrote:
    :> Unless the slowness was due to FC-1 not taking advantage of some
    :> hardware feature (accelerated driver for the video card comes to mind)
    :> I doubt you'll find FC-3 or the soon-to-be-released FC-4 any faster.
    :
    :Right.
    :
    :Is it worth hanging on for FC4 ?
    :
    O you know when is it due to be released ?

    Fedora Core 4 is currently scheduled for release June 13. Personally,
    I'd wait a few weeks to see what problems crop up before trying to
    install it myself.

    --
    Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

  7. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 Machine

    > :Is it worth hanging on for FC4 ?
    > :
    > O you know when is it due to be released ?
    >
    > Fedora Core 4 is currently scheduled for release June 13. Personally,
    > I'd wait a few weeks to see what problems crop up before trying to
    > install it myself.

    Okay maybe I try FC3 then.

    Aaron

+ Reply to Thread