Hi, another SATA support question. - Redhat

This is a discussion on Hi, another SATA support question. - Redhat ; Hi, I am strugling to find an up-to-date answer for this question. Does redhat (or any linux dist) have a descent support for SATA hard drives?, in particular Maxtor diamnond plus 9 series? New to linux and trying to make ...

  1. Hi, another SATA support question.

    Hi,

    I am strugling to find an up-to-date answer for this question. Does
    redhat (or any linux dist) have a descent support for SATA hard
    drives?, in particular Maxtor diamnond plus 9 series?

    New to linux and trying to make the swap from Windows XP (horrible
    story ending with me loosing all data on my HD). Have dabbled with it
    (on diff PC)and I am impressed, tried to install it and it said it
    couldnt find the hard drive and now struggling to find drivers or any
    up-to-date support answer. Seems eveything else is ok with the
    installation except the HD issue.

    Sorry if its a well worn out question, thanks for any help.

    Jon.

  2. Re: Hi, another SATA support question.

    Mmm_moo_cows wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am strugling to find an up-to-date answer for this question. Does
    > redhat (or any linux dist) have a descent support for SATA hard
    > drives?, in particular Maxtor diamnond plus 9 series?

    The manufacturer of the hard drive is not important as the chipset of
    SATA interface the hard drive is connected to. The only answer I can
    provide you at this point is; Yes, the current version of Fedora Core 3
    and other current Linux distributions provide support for the Maxtor
    Diamond Plus 9 series of hard drives when attached to a supported SATA
    interface.

    > New to linux and trying to make the swap from Windows XP (horrible
    > story ending with me loosing all data on my HD). Have dabbled with it
    > (on diff PC)and I am impressed, tried to install it and it said it
    > couldnt find the hard drive and now struggling to find drivers or any
    > up-to-date support answer. Seems eveything else is ok with the
    > installation except the HD issue.

    Switching to Linux because your sick of Windows, is not a good reason to
    install and or try Linux. Installing Linux because you want to or want
    to learn about Linux are both good reasons.

    You tried to install what??? You make no mention of which version(s) of
    Red Hat Linux or Fedora Core or any other distro of Linux. To much
    guesswork is required to provide any useful replies to your question
    other then what I already said.

    > Sorry if its a well worn out question, thanks for any help.

    It's not a problem if this is a worn out question or not, as I already
    said you have not provided any useful information to help you resolve
    the problem you are having with installation.

    OK for starters (this is to help you in the long run) please read;

    Then try this again, this time provide the information needed to
    hopefully answer your question(s), like the motherboard and/or system
    manufacturer, the version of Linux your attempting to install etc.,
    etc.

    You can also review; http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

  3. Re: Hi, another SATA support question.

    Hi,

    Thanks for your help, looks like I have to give up on linux for now,
    however I downloaded the new Solaris 10 (use it at work) and it has
    full support for my SATA hard drive, so problem solved - just got to
    get the house network going!

    I'm actually instally a unix based system to learn networking
    properly, and have a descent system for web server and get g++ going.

    Thanks again for your help,

    Jon.

+ Reply to Thread