cleaning up the /tmp directory at boot time would "civilise" Fedora. - Redhat

This is a discussion on cleaning up the /tmp directory at boot time would "civilise" Fedora. - Redhat ; Hello: My system just was almost dead after a reboot. I went "non graphic", and found quickly the problem: The "/ "parttiton was 100% full, due to audacity having filled up the /tmp directory. The remedy is simple... for a ...

  1. cleaning up the /tmp directory at boot time would "civilise" Fedora.

    Hello:
    My system just was almost dead after a reboot.
    I went "non graphic", and found quickly the problem:
    The "/ "parttiton was 100% full, due to audacity having filled up the /tmp
    directory.
    The remedy is simple... for a Linux "geeck".
    For a Civilised Linux (read for everyone), Suggestion:
    1) At boot time, cleanup /tmp
    2) If any partition is fuller than a maximum, (say 97%), the warn and allow
    manual deletion of files.
    ---

  2. Re: cleaning up the /tmp directory at boot time would "civilise" Fedora.

    AnonymousFC3 wrote:
    > Hello:
    > My system just was almost dead after a reboot.
    > I went "non graphic", and found quickly the problem:
    > The "/ "parttiton was 100% full, due to audacity having filled up the

    /tmp
    > directory.
    > The remedy is simple... for a Linux "geeck".
    > For a Civilised Linux (read for everyone), Suggestion:
    > 1) At boot time, cleanup /tmp
    > 2) If any partition is fuller than a maximum, (say 97%), the warn

    and allow
    > manual deletion of files.
    > ---

    $man tmpwatch

    Read your /etc/cronXXX files, especially /etc/cron.daily

    Note that I believe that FC3 still reserves 5% of the filesystem space
    for root just for the purpose of cleaning up.

    Don't place /tmp in your / ([root]) directory partition. This is
    precisely why people place /tmp and /var on their own partitons -- so
    they don't crap the system root directory if they fill up by "mistake"
    or malice.

    Live and learn

    hth,
    prg