Re: Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k - Redhat

This is a discussion on Re: Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k - Redhat ; what is windows ? "Pepebuho" wrote in message news:bdbp89091f@enews4.newsguy.com... > Hi > I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K > computer in order to learn better about Linux. > > My problem ...

  1. Re: Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k

    what is windows ?

    "Pepebuho" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K
    > computer in order to learn better about Linux.
    >
    > My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and execute
    > "man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters on the
    > screen.
    > I have tried accessing my server using the following methods:
    >
    > 1. Cygwin environment using SSH
    > 2. telnet from cmd.exe
    >
    > If I do "man bash" from the Cygwin shell inside my Win2K system, I get the
    > following after NAME:
    >
    > bash - GNU Bourne-Again SHell
    >
    > If I conect to my headless server using ssh from the cygwin environment, I
    > get the following:
    >
    > bash ‚^' GNU Bourne‚??Again SHell
    >
    > If I do it by using telnet (the plain vanilla from windows2k) I get the
    > following:
    >
    > bash ?Í∆ GNU Bourne?«…Again SHell
    >

    > And like those lines, there are several others with strange characters in
    > between.
    >

    > I know that for some reason, ssh and telenet are not interpreting some
    > escape sequence character. My question is the following.
    >
    > 1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the output,
    > including what type of escape character they are using when somebody
    > connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0
    >
    > 2. what commands, if any do I have availabel under cygwin or ssh to

    properly
    > interpret such an input?
    >
    > 3. what commands if any do I have available under Windows2k telnet to
    > properly interpret sush an input?
    >
    > thanks, I apreciate whatever help or pointers for info you might provide

    me
    > with.
    >
    > Javier

  2. Re: Problem displaying linux console from Windows 2k

    Tmio Makinen wrote:

    > what is windows ?

    ... you should know Mr Top-poster.

    > "Pepebuho" wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I am a newbie and I installed a headless server next to my Windows 2K
    >> computer in order to learn better about Linux.

    good good

    >> My problem is as follows. Everytime that I login to the server and
    >> execute "man" to look up the manual pages, I get some garbage characters
    >> on the screen.

    >> 1. How and Where can I find in Linux the format definition for the
    >> output, including what type of escape character they are using when
    >> somebody connects from outside the server. I am using redhat 8.0

    /usr/lib/man.conf controls how man pages are rendered (look for the lines on
    groff/troff), but it would probably be easier to get a different SSH client
    for Windows - putty (which is free) would be a good try.

    Also, if you're just after a one-line description of what a command does,
    you might like to investigate apropos or whatis.

    Cheers,

    Pete

+ Reply to Thread