Internet throughput stats in FC2 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Internet throughput stats in FC2 - Redhat ; I have installed Fedora Core 2 on an ancient HP PC with a dial-up modem (the hardware is not an issue). Everything works fine but can anyone suggest a program that will give me web connection statistics (up/down load) or ...

  1. Internet throughput stats in FC2

    I have installed Fedora Core 2 on an ancient HP PC with a dial-up modem
    (the hardware is not an issue).

    Everything works fine but can anyone suggest a program that will give me
    web connection statistics (up/down load) or a nice "connection speed" graph?

    An icon in the tray to tell me when I am actually connected would be
    helpful too. (I haven't been able to find any such feature in kppp or the
    network device controller or associated with device ppp0.)

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    .... Martin

  2. Re: Internet throughput stats in FC2

    Martin Potter wrote:

    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    GKrellM

  3. Re: Internet throughput stats in FC2

    Lenard (Lenard@127.0.0.1) writes:
    > Martin Potter wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for any suggestions.

    > GKrellM

    Wow! What a neat program! I found a site with the RPM for it but have
    not installed it yet. Is there any similar program for a KDE environment??

  4. Re: Internet throughput stats in FC2

    Martin Potter wrote:

    > Lenard (Lenard@127.0.0.1) writes:
    >> Martin Potter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for any suggestions.

    >> GKrellM
    >>

    > Wow! What a neat program! I found a site with the RPM for it but
    > have
    > not installed it yet. Is there any similar program for a KDE
    > environment??

    I use KDE with GKrellm just fine, I'm using;

    $ rpm -qa 'gkrellm*'
    gkrellm-2.2.4-1
    gkrellm-plugins-misc-2.2.4-1.1.fc3.fr
    gkrellm-plugins-utils-2.2.4-1.1.fc3.fr

    which can be found at freshrpms.net;
    http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=76
    http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=80
    http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=85

  5. Re: Internet throughput stats in FC2

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 02:47:41 +0000, Martin Potter wrote:

    > I have installed Fedora Core 2 on an ancient HP PC with a dial-up modem
    > (the hardware is not an issue).
    >
    > Everything works fine but can anyone suggest a program that will give me
    > web connection statistics (up/down load) or a nice "connection speed"
    > graph?
    >
    > An icon in the tray to tell me when I am actually connected would be
    > helpful too. (I haven't been able to find any such feature in kppp or
    > the network device controller or associated with device ppp0.)
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    > ... Martin

    Why don't you use use the System Monitor (v2.8.0) that is already a task
    bar applet in FC1, FC2 & FC3. I've been running that in Gnome since FC1
    (I'm using FC3 currently). It provides small graphs that show CPU, Memory,
    Network, Swap, & System Load usage. I tend to only keep the CPU & Network
    graphs active in my task bar. I don't however know if it runs under KDE,
    but I don't know why it wouldn't. ;-) Anyway it may be worth a try.

  6. Re: Internet throughput stats in FC2

    Lenard (Lenard@127.0.0.1) writes:

    > I use KDE with GKrellm just fine, I'm using;
    >
    > $ rpm -qa 'gkrellm*'
    > gkrellm-2.2.4-1
    > gkrellm-plugins-misc-2.2.4-1.1.fc3.fr
    > gkrellm-plugins-utils-2.2.4-1.1.fc3.fr
    >
    > which can be found at freshrpms.net;
    > http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=76
    > http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=80
    > http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=85

    Thanks, Lenard, that was exactly what I needed. I wasn't aware of the
    freshrpms site either, so double thanks. I will shortly be installing FC
    3 so am looking forward to getting all of this working for me :-)

    Thanks again!
    .... Martin

  7. Re: Internet throughput stats in FC2

    James T (turajb@_NOSPAM_hoflink.com) writes:

    > Why don't you use use the System Monitor (v2.8.0) that is already a task
    > bar applet in FC1, FC2 & FC3. I've been running that in Gnome since FC1
    > (I'm using FC3 currently). It provides small graphs that show CPU, Memory,
    > Network, Swap, & System Load usage. I tend to only keep the CPU & Network
    > graphs active in my task bar. I don't however know if it runs under KDE,
    > but I don't know why it wouldn't. ;-) Anyway it may be worth a try.

    Thanks, James. My installation of FC2 is the 2 CD Community release which
    unfortunately doesn't have the utility you sugguested, but I will soon be
    installing FC3 (4 CD edition) so I hope to be able to try it out. Then I
    will have to decide between it and GKrellM :-) It is always nice to have
    a choice! (Guess that is what Linux is all about.)

    Thanks again!
    .... Martin

+ Reply to Thread