FC3 : Nvidia And rivafb module - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC3 : Nvidia And rivafb module - Redhat ; Does anybody know what the module rivafb can be ? I just upgraded my system from FC2 -> FC3 , everything is working OK , except when I go to install the latest nVidia driver , x86-1.0-6629 I get an ...

  1. FC3 : Nvidia And rivafb module

    Does anybody know what the module rivafb can be ?

    I just upgraded my system from FC2 -> FC3 , everything is working OK ,
    except when I go to install the latest nVidia driver , x86-1.0-6629 I get an
    error message.

    All of the games and graphics works , except most of the screensavers in a
    user account , these are mainly the GL screensavers , like Glgears .... etc

    The error message that I get when I install the driver is
    Your kernel was configured to include rivafb support as a loadable module.

    The rivafb driver conflicts with the nVidia driver: the nVidia kernel module
    will still be built and installed, but be aware that the nVidia driver will
    not be able to function properly if the rivafb module is loaded.
    -
    The only thing that I could think of is that the module rivafb is a driver
    for an riva TNT video card , but I haven't had any riva video card installed
    on my system , unless the problem could be with the integrated onboard video
    on the Asus mobo.

    Anybody got any ideas as to what this module can be ? , and would I have to
    recompile the kernel to get rid of this module.

    System specs
    cpu P3 1Ghz
    mobo Asus TUSL2-C
    Video 64 Mb Leadtek GF4 MX 440
    ram 512 Mb
    bootloader Grub - Window 98 / FC3

    Thanks.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  2. Re: FC3 : Nvidia And rivafb module

    You might check out what these sites have to say on nvidia driver
    installation. I have ignored the rivafb warning and have not had any
    problems with my nvidia card running 3d apps.

    wort

    http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...ion_notes.html

    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc3.shtml

  3. Re: FC3 : Nvidia And rivafb module

    "wort" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.02.03.03.19.10.393522@charter.net...

    > You might check out what these sites have to say on nvidia driver
    > installation. I have ignored the rivafb warning and have not had any
    > problems with my nvidia card running 3d apps.
    >
    > wort
    >
    > http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...ion_notes.html
    >
    > http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc3.shtml

    Thanks for the links , they are informative and one of them talks about the
    same error message that I get.
    Between those 2 links I should be able to get my screensavers working.

    --
    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au