Severely stumped over here trying to get a working dual boot scenario w/
FC3 on /dev/hdd (hd1) and XP on /dev/hda (hd0).

Partitions on the linux drive are:

hdd1 /boot *
hdd2 /
hdd3 /home
hdd4 /swap
hdd5 /extended
hdd6 /var
hdd7 /storage

The linux drive used to exist alone in a box w/ only 1 hard drive & 1 OS,
where it was /dev/hda. Now it is slaved to a cdrom in a new Dell XP
(NTFS) box.

I installed FC3 (Heidelberg) on /dev/hdd, reformatting the /boot
and /var partitions while leaving all other partitions intact and
simply writing new packages on top of the old filesystem.

During the install I told grub to write the bootloader to /dev/hdd1. All
seemed to go well, and I followed up by booting with a
rescue disk, using dd to get the first 512 bytes off /dev/hdd1 and
then copying it to the Windows drive, adding an entry in boot.ini, etc.

XP's boot menu allows me to select my Linux drive (which of course points
to the bootloading sector I copied over), but GRUB immediately dies after
printing "GRUB", & no further error msgs are displayed.

My grub.conf file looks like this :

#boot=/dev/hdd1
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title LinuxFC3 (2.6.9-1.677)
root (hd1,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/hdd2
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
title WindowsXP
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

I have tried variations on the naming schemes above, like

kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hdd2

and so forth, all to no avail.

I am 99% sure I have the naming convention & syntax correct w/ grub.conf,
although perhaps not.

Booting into rescue mode, and chrooting to my mounted filesystem image, I
have run grub-install, both grub-install /dev/hdd1 and grub-install --
root-directory=/boot /dev/hdd1. I have then of course re-run dd
if=/dev/hdd1 of=/linux.bin bs=512 count=1 to save out my bootsector, copy
it to windows partition using explore2fs (because I'm using NTFS) etc.
I have also tried grub-install /dev/hdd, despite the fact that it is hdd1
that is primary & bootable partition, but it didn't work anyway.

I can't get beyond the stalled GRUB text.

Any suggestions, or pointers to relevant threads anywhere?

Going on 3 days, and this is starting to really annoy me.

Thanks very much in advance,

Josh