Hiya folks,

I'm trying to install RedHat 9.0 from the original Shrike install
CD's to a SATA Harddrive on an AMD Opteron Dual CPU system using the
VIA SATA raid controller.

I've downloaded the drivers from the VIA website, but they're
confusing to say the least.

I quote:
- ---------------------
1). RedHat 9.0
There is a standard way to create RedHat driver disk, I've
put it
into a script, dd.sh, which has been mentioned in the
readme.txt.
a). run ./dd.sh, you will get a image file named
viamraid.img
b). Insert a blank floppy, and run
#dd if=driverdisk/viamraid.img of=/dev/fd0
the driver disk is ready.
c). Install RedHat9.0, boot from RH9.0 cd, when it prompt:
"boot:",
type "linux expert", then following the install
instructions.
- ---------------------

Now: how am I supposed to run the dd.sh file if I'm trying to install
linux in the first place? WHAT will I run it on??

I was able to put the pre-made image file from
VIA_RAID_Linux_V100\driver\DriverDisk\RedHat9.0\ to a floppy and when
installing I used "linux dd" and presented the floppy and it then was
able to find the SATA drive and install Linux. Looks good, think
me...

BUT!!

When grub loads up, and goes to BOOT, it locks up after loading the
VP_IDE.
The final lines of the boot attempt is:

VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:0f.1
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: Unknown VIA SouthBridge, disabling DMA.

Grub is using :

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinux-2.4.20-8smp ro root=/dev/sda2 hdd=ide-scsi

I'm going to assume that GRUB isn't properly loading the VIA drivers
for the SATA, or simply not loading them at all.

Can someone PLEASE help me!?

- - Dave