hangs at "Mounting SMB file systems"- FC3/2.6.10-1.741? - Redhat

This is a discussion on hangs at "Mounting SMB file systems"- FC3/2.6.10-1.741? - Redhat ; Keep in mind that I have VERY limited experience with Linux, but this describes a problem I ran into after two weeks of using an updated FC3 system. Last night I did an update using up2date and told it to ...

  1. hangs at "Mounting SMB file systems"- FC3/2.6.10-1.741?

    Keep in mind that I have VERY limited experience with Linux, but this
    describes a problem I ran into after two weeks of using an updated FC3
    system.

    Last night I did an update using up2date and told it to update
    everything, since I have no clue about most of it, just figured it was
    time. I was using the system today and have been having problems with
    the mouse outline not being present. I changed the desktop background
    image to just plain dark gray - still a completely black mouse cursor.

    At this point, I had not rebooted since the update, so I rebooted
    thinking it might have something to do with an update that might fix
    it....

    At this point the system would go as far as "Mounting SMB file systems"
    and hand. Being a noob I have no clue, so I tried recovery mode, not
    understanding it I tried to revert by doing an upgrade with the CD's I
    had used (before the updates), nada - still not working.

    So, I decided to blow it away and start over with a fresh install, only
    using Evolution and TB and FireFox, so I wasn't going to loose much.

    At 1231 I booted from CD1, started the install, selected my items....
    At 1403 the install completed, I tried up2date, but it failed twice
    At 1405 up2date worked and I selected all updates, including kernel
    At 1624 all updates are loaded and it's started "Installing"
    At 1642 Install is about 75% complete, still working on it.

    I'm waiting for it to finish so that I can open a user account and start
    my user setup.

    I don't know if this is going to be problem when I reboot after the
    updates finish, but I'm going to reboot before I start the new user.

    Anyone seen this before?

    Any insight is appreciated - thanks

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

  2. Re: hangs at "Mounting SMB file systems"- FC3/2.6.10-1.741?

    Leythos wrote:

    > Keep in mind that I have VERY limited experience with Linux, but this
    > describes a problem I ran into after two weeks of using an updated FC3
    > system.
    >
    > Last night I did an update using up2date and told it to update
    > everything, since I have no clue about most of it, just figured it was
    > time. I was using the system today and have been having problems with
    > the mouse outline not being present. I changed the desktop background
    > image to just plain dark gray - still a completely black mouse cursor.
    >
    > At this point, I had not rebooted since the update, so I rebooted
    > thinking it might have something to do with an update that might fix
    > it....
    >
    > At this point the system would go as far as "Mounting SMB file
    > systems" and hand. Being a noob I have no clue, so I tried recovery
    > mode, not understanding it I tried to revert by doing an upgrade with
    > the CD's I had used (before the updates), nada - still not working.
    >
    > So, I decided to blow it away and start over with a fresh install,
    > only using Evolution and TB and FireFox, so I wasn't going to loose
    > much.

    OK understood.... but remember Linux is not Windows, no need to wipe and
    load to fix problems. Your problems just might be the new 2.6.10-1.741
    kernel, many people have experienced problems with this kernel.

    > At 1231 I booted from CD1, started the install, selected my items....
    > At 1403 the install completed, I tried up2date, but it failed twice
    > At 1405 up2date worked and I selected all updates, including kernel
    > At 1624 all updates are loaded and it's started "Installing"
    > At 1642 Install is about 75% complete, still working on it.

    You might have the same problems then. You should never upgrade or
    update a working kernel it's better to install the new kernel and keep
    the current or older kernel(s). Download the new kernel and then
    install it by hand. As root type something like;

    rpm -ivh kernel*.rpm

    This way you can test the new kernel and if you have any problems you
    can revert to using the older kernel.