Hello,
I have recently installed RH 7.3 on a IBM think pad T30. Works fine.
Except for the DVD drive which worked normally before the install.
And afterwards it refuses to open. There is a brief flash of the LED
as it boot up, but repeated pushing of the the small eject button
during boot up or at any other time has no effect.
dmesg reveals
hdc: MAT****ADVD-ROM SR-8175, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE
cdrom: This disk doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

eject -v
CD-ROM eject command suceeeded

But in fact the eject has not succeeded, the tray is foh-so-firmly
shut.
Is this a broken DVD drive? Is there anything else I can try?
Suppose it could have died all on it's own, but it does seem a bit
coincidental that it packs up just after a new OS is installed.

TIA

Tony