Big-disk woes - Redhat

This is a discussion on Big-disk woes - Redhat ; I think my Asus A7A266 motherboard doesn't fully support my new 250GB disk. I've been trying to install Fedora 3 on it. Anaconda will partition the disk and copy software to the partitions, but when it's time to boot, file ...

  1. Big-disk woes

    I think my Asus A7A266 motherboard doesn't fully support my new 250GB
    disk. I've been trying to install Fedora 3 on it.

    Anaconda will partition the disk and copy software to the partitions,
    but when it's time to boot, file systems can't be mounted.

    I'm not at my computer now. I'll post the log files later if they are
    needed, but the kernel complains about cylinders above a certain number
    and says DMA mode won't be used to access them.

    I tried installing SuSE 9.1 also and it went better: After install I
    could boot, though with the same error messages, but couldn't mount
    swap which is the second primary patron on the drive.

    I tried setting up the disk as follows:
    hdc1 /boot 1 gig ex2
    hdc2 swap 1 gig
    hdc3 / about 125 gig ex3
    hdc4 /home about 123 gig ex3

    I've flashed the motherboard to the latest bios. No joy.

    I've heard there is some way to fix this problem manually when creating
    partitions, but I can't find exact instructions. Any help would be
    appreciated.
    Tom F.

  2. Re: Big-disk woes

    wrote in message
    news:1106821365.125063.294560@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > I think my Asus A7A266 motherboard doesn't fully support my new 250GB
    > disk. I've been trying to install Fedora 3 on it.
    >
    > Anaconda will partition the disk and copy software to the partitions,
    > but when it's time to boot, file systems can't be mounted.
    >
    > I'm not at my computer now. I'll post the log files later if they are
    > needed, but the kernel complains about cylinders above a certain number
    > and says DMA mode won't be used to access them.
    >
    > I tried installing SuSE 9.1 also and it went better: After install I
    > could boot, though with the same error messages, but couldn't mount
    > swap which is the second primary patron on the drive.
    >
    > I tried setting up the disk as follows:
    > hdc1 /boot 1 gig ex2
    > hdc2 swap 1 gig
    > hdc3 / about 125 gig ex3
    > hdc4 /home about 123 gig ex3
    >
    > I've flashed the motherboard to the latest bios. No joy.
    >
    > I've heard there is some way to fix this problem manually when creating
    > partitions, but I can't find exact instructions. Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    How have you set the HDD in the Bios ?

    You could have problems if you has set the HDD to [Auto] , you will have to
    set it to :
    Type [User Type HDD]
    Translation Method [LBA]

    Some HDDs where having problems in FC2 in which the HDD was set to [Auto] ,
    it screwed with the partition table , so perhaps it could be doing the same
    thing with FC3 and large HDDs.

    --
    Sandgroper

+ Reply to Thread