Primary partition needed for Fedora installation? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Primary partition needed for Fedora installation? - Redhat ; My dual-boot PC had Win2K and Fedora 3 on each of the two hard drives. Recently the drive with FC3 crashed. Since there is ~70GB of unused space on the first drive, I tried to reinstall FC3 on this disk, ...

  1. Primary partition needed for Fedora installation?

    My dual-boot PC had Win2K and Fedora 3 on each of the two hard
    drives. Recently the drive with FC3 crashed. Since there is ~70GB
    of unused space on the first drive, I tried to reinstall FC3 on
    this disk, but the installation failed complaining about being
    unable to find a primary partition. Since the Win2K drive has four
    NTFS partitions on it, I understand that I cannot create another
    primary partition. But my previous FC 1, 2, and 3 installations
    were all created on extended partitions. Could anyone explain why
    I got that error message about primary partition? Thanks.

  2. Re: Primary partition needed for Fedora installation?

    Solstice wrote:
    > My dual-boot PC had Win2K and Fedora 3 on each of the two hard
    > drives. Recently the drive with FC3 crashed. Since there is ~70GB
    > of unused space on the first drive, I tried to reinstall FC3 on
    > this disk, but the installation failed complaining about being
    > unable to find a primary partition. Since the Win2K drive has four
    > NTFS partitions on it, I understand that I cannot create another
    > primary partition. But my previous FC 1, 2, and 3 installations
    > were all created on extended partitions. Could anyone explain why
    > I got that error message about primary partition? Thanks.

    "Since the Win2K drive has four NTFS partitions on it..." there is no
    more room for _any_ kind of partition. The limit is:

    -- 4 primaries, or
    -- 3 primaries + 1 extended (which can contain a number of logical
    partitions)

    You will have to delete at least one primary partition -- recommend the
    last one.

    Two partitions deleted for use by FC3 would be even better, IMO. Use
    one for /boot (a primary) and the other extended (divided for your
    other FC3 partitions).

    If you do delete partitions, make sure W2K stays happy before
    continuing with FC3 install.

    hth,
    prg
    email above disabled