How to auto-start smbd & nmbd at boot? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to auto-start smbd & nmbd at boot? - Redhat ; I've just installed RedHat 9.0 & have Samba running & working fine with my Windows domain. My only problem is that I have to start smbd & nmbd manually whenever I reboot. In "Sam's Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours," ...

  1. How to auto-start smbd & nmbd at boot?

    I've just installed RedHat 9.0 & have Samba running & working fine with my
    Windows domain. My only problem is that I have to start smbd & nmbd manually
    whenever I reboot. In "Sam's Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours," they tell
    you to put the startup commands in /etc/inetd.conf, but there is no such
    file in RedHat 9.0. I understand that it uses xinet.d instead, but this is a
    directory, not a file, so I'm not sure how to handle this. The system is
    working so well that I'm afraid to inadvertantly break anything.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How to auto-start smbd & nmbd at boot?

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:17:08 -0500, Exotic-Scales.com wrote:

    > I've just installed RedHat 9.0 & have Samba running & working fine with my
    > Windows domain. My only problem is that I have to start smbd & nmbd manually
    > whenever I reboot. In "Sam's Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours," they tell
    > you to put the startup commands in /etc/inetd.conf, but there is no such
    > file in RedHat 9.0. I understand that it uses xinet.d instead, but this is a
    > directory, not a file, so I'm not sure how to handle this. The system is
    > working so well that I'm afraid to inadvertantly break anything.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi!

    1. open an x terminal and su to root
    2. enter the following on the command line:

    i) chkconfig --level 2345 smb on
    ii) chkconfig --level 2345 named on

    ** whereby run levels "2345" is optional
    you can either start your servers at all of the levels given above or
    omit the levels you don't want.

    That's it!

    Best regards!

    Stan Omoregie

  3. How to auto-start smbd & nmbd at boot?

    Friday January 21 2005 18:55, Stan Omoregie wrote to All:

    SO> i) chkconfig --level 2345 smb on
    SO> ii) chkconfig --level 2345 named on

    Why would he start named???

    Kari Suomela