RH9 & kernel 2.6 & SATA install - Redhat

This is a discussion on RH9 & kernel 2.6 & SATA install - Redhat ; Hi I want to install RH9 onto a SATA hard disk, but the kernel that comes with this version does not support SATA drives. I've read that if i upgrade to kernel 2.6, this will allow me to use SATA ...

  1. RH9 & kernel 2.6 & SATA install

    Hi

    I want to install RH9 onto a SATA hard disk, but the kernel that comes
    with this version does not support SATA drives. I've read that if i
    upgrade to kernel 2.6, this will allow me to use SATA drives.

    So, is it possible to replace the existing kernel with v2.6, e.g. by
    replacing the RPM file on the cd, and allowing the installation to work
    with the SATA drive? Or is the only way to use a new kernel to install
    the o/s first, then re-compile the kernel?

    TIA

    bengee

  2. Re: RH9 & kernel 2.6 & SATA install

    bengee wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I want to install RH9 onto a SATA hard disk, but the kernel that comes
    > with this version does not support SATA drives. I've read that if i
    > upgrade to kernel 2.6, this will allow me to use SATA drives.
    >
    > So, is it possible to replace the existing kernel with v2.6, e.g. by
    > replacing the RPM file on the cd, and allowing the installation to
    > work with the SATA drive? Or is the only way to use a new kernel to
    > install the o/s first, then re-compile the kernel?

    Save yourself lots of time and effort install Fedora Core 3 instead. The
    amount of work involved in your idea is simply not worth it. You have a
    lot more work then you realize, you not only need to replace the kernel
    RPM files but a lot of other related files as well. You also need to
    replace the isolinux image (the one used to boot the CD) and lots of
    other modifications. In addition Red Hat Linux 9 is basically EOL'd
    (end of life) so support is very limited.

    Installing a 2.6 kernel in Red Hat Linux 9 after installation is
    possible but it requires a lot of additional work and updating many
    packages for this. You can review some of the work required by
    visiting;

    http://www.fearthecow.net/index.pl?s...st&page=kernel
    http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html