Only LI of LILO - Redhat

This is a discussion on Only LI of LILO - Redhat ; Well, I do the simple or minimal linux install which is the first choice on the RH 7 install choices list. All goes well and I get the Congratualtions ..... However, on the reboot, I see only LI of LILO ...

  1. Only LI of LILO

    Well, I do the simple or minimal linux install which is the first choice on
    the RH 7 install choices list. All goes well and I get the Congratualtions
    However, on the reboot, I see only LI of LILO and it dies there.

    If there are no errors on the install, shouldn't LILO run without any errors
    ?

    BR
    Bob Palank

  2. Only LI of LILO

    Tuesday January 25 2005 15:02, Bob Palank wrote to All:

    BP> However, on the reboot, I see only LI of LILO and it dies there.

    BP> If there are no errors on the install, shouldn't LILO run without
    BP> any
    BP> errors ?

    Did you read the instructions?

    KS

  3. Re: Only LI of LILO

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, "Bob Palank" wrote:

    >> Well, I do the simple or minimal linux install which is the first choice on
    >> the RH 7 install choices list. All goes well and I get the Congratualtions
    >> However, on the reboot, I see only LI of LILO and it dies there.
    >>
    >> If there are no errors on the install, shouldn't LILO run without any errors
    >> ?

    This indicates that the MBR found the lilo first stage which found the
    second stage, but the second stage could not execute.
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/a1483.html

    Your clock is probably wrong

    --
    Brian Brunner
    911: Gov't Sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.

    This is not a .sig, it's a .glock! *jeesh*

  4. Re: Only LI of LILO

    Op Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:02:43 -0600, schreef Bob Palank:

    > Well, I do the simple or minimal linux install which is the first choice on
    > the RH 7 install choices list. All goes well and I get the Congratualtions
    > However, on the reboot, I see only LI of LILO and it dies there.
    >
    > If there are no errors on the install, shouldn't LILO run without any errors
    > ?
    >
    > BR
    > Bob Palank

    well..
    it looks like you went over another install that included lilo.
    first try reformatting the harddisk.. if that doesnt work it seems likely
    that the previous install was in the master boot record and this one at
    the 1st sector of your harddisk. the MBR tells your system to load lilo
    from a partition where lilo used to be but its not there anymore..

    so the best idea is prolly to remake a new boot sector..
    I know windows XP (when booting from cd in rescue) can restore it to
    normal with the command fixmbr there are also commands for it in dos
    but I dont know them... just look on google for dos commands or linux or
    whatever you prefer to fix the master boot record (MBR) that should fix
    the problem for you
    I personally used the fixmbr option with the XP cd to fix the problem I
    got after installing RH 7.2

    good luck and I hope this information helps..

    Simon Loggen

  5. Re: Only LI of LILO

    I found out that with a win98 bootdisk the command "fdisk /mbr" worked
    as well

    Op Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:09:19 +0000, schreef SNAKY:

    > Op Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:02:43 -0600, schreef Bob Palank:
    >
    >> Well, I do the simple or minimal linux install which is the first choice on
    >> the RH 7 install choices list. All goes well and I get the Congratualtions
    >> However, on the reboot, I see only LI of LILO and it dies there.
    >>
    >> If there are no errors on the install, shouldn't LILO run without any errors
    >> ?
    >>
    >> BR
    >> Bob Palank

    > well..
    > it looks like you went over another install that included lilo.
    > first try reformatting the harddisk.. if that doesnt work it seems likely
    > that the previous install was in the master boot record and this one at
    > the 1st sector of your harddisk. the MBR tells your system to load lilo
    > from a partition where lilo used to be but its not there anymore..
    >
    > so the best idea is prolly to remake a new boot sector..
    > I know windows XP (when booting from cd in rescue) can restore it to
    > normal with the command fixmbr there are also commands for it in dos
    > but I dont know them... just look on google for dos commands or linux or
    > whatever you prefer to fix the master boot record (MBR) that should fix
    > the problem for you
    > I personally used the fixmbr option with the XP cd to fix the problem I
    > got after installing RH 7.2
    >
    > good luck and I hope this information helps..
    >
    > Simon Loggen

+ Reply to Thread